IGNORED

Matching lock sets

takayuki

Can you re-tumble the ignition, door locks, and hatch locks so that they match? I'm having a tough time finding a lock set. No problems finding pieces individually, but of course, they are all keyed different.

Yes. The ignition is the easiest, followed by the doors. Any competent locksmith should be able to do it, I even borrowed a wafer set and did an ignition switch myself. Not hard with the correct parts. I'd recommend leaving the hatch lock as is and keying the others to match it.

When I got my Z, it had no door keys. A competent locksmith was able to determine the correct key profile and code from the drivers door. His key also worked with the hatch and glove box. It wasn't until I got home that I discovered it didn't work in the passenger door. I pulled the passenger door lock and made the trip back to the locksmith. Apparently the door had been replaced without retaining the original lock.

I asked if he could re-key the existing lock and he said he could, but he needed new chrome bezel rings as the old ones would be destroyed in the process. This raised a problem for the hatch lock because of its unique profile.

Since we already had a working hatch key, I asked to re-key the passenger door lock. This turned out to be a problem because the passenger lock had a different profile. I ended up getting a set of door locks for a '90's Sentra, so I ended up with a three key set.

If the bezels are NLA, I'd recommend re-keying the ignition to match the doors (as I'm assuming that door locks are still available in matching pairs, possibly a bad assumption). The hatch may have to be different.

I suppose someone should ask what model/year Z you have. Early Z's had two different keys, one for the doors and a different one for the ignition. Later they changed profiles and eventually changed to a single key. There are two different locations to find the key codes. A tag on the back of the glove box door and on the door lock body. Having the code will make the locksmith and your wallet happy.

I suppose someone should ask what model/year Z you have. Early Z's had two different keys, one for the doors and a different one for the ignition. Later they changed profiles and eventually changed to a single key. There are two different locations to find the key codes. A tag on the back of the glove box door and on the door lock body. Having the code will make the locksmith and your wallet happy.

His profile lists only a '71 model.

I asked if he could re-key the existing lock and he said he could, but he needed new chrome bezel rings as the old ones would be destroyed in the process.

I ran into that issue when I wanted to get locks on my 510 rekeyed. The first locksmith that looked at the locks said he had to destroy the bezel - - but then another locksmith happened to come over to see what the problem was - and he showed the first locksmith how to take things apart without destroying the bezel. Turned out the bezels on the Datsun Locks I had - are made in such a way as to be removed and reinstalled. The first locksmith was surprised and admitted that he really didn't look closely enough at them in the first place - just assumed at first glance that they were all the same.

Find old and very experienced locksmiths…

FWIW,

Carl B.