IGNORED

Datsun 280Z Interior Trim Question

DAVID(GEN)

So I have been looking for some new interior trim for my 1977 Z and I have noticed that the trim doesn't seem to be the most plentiful.

So my question is what is the difference between 74-76 and 77-78 trim? Can I put 74-76 trim into my 77? Or what are the differences that makes it so I can't?

I went through the same thing and hopefully you won't repeat my mistakes.

There are at least four different versions of that rear window trim.

First design - Used up till they redesigned the rear strut towers? Maybe 70-73 and "early" 74's

Has a low notch in the lower rear corner for the strut tower

Has a hole for the upper seat belt mount

Second design - Used when they redesigned the rear struts. Maybe late 74's only? Maybe 75 as well?

Has a HIGH notch in the lower rear corner for the strut tower

Has a hole for the upper seat belt mount

Third design - Used after they moved the seat belt to the strut tower. Maybe 76 only? Maybe 75 as well?

Has a high notch in the lower rear corner for the strut tower

Does NOT have a hole for the upper seat belt mount

Final design - Used when they moved the speaker to right behind the seats. 77-78 only

Has a high notch in the lower rear corner for the strut tower

Does NOT have a hole for the upper seat belt mount

Has speaker holes

So getting to the details of your question... For a 77, you definitely need something that has the high notch. If you're planning to use speakers in the stock locations, then you'll want a pair from 77-78. If you're not going to run speakers in the stock spots, then maybe you want a pair from an earlier year without the holes. But be aware that if you go too far back in the chronology, you'll start getting into versions that have the seat belt hole (which you don't need). If you can't find anything without the seat belt hole, you could patch it and paint it, but just be aware that you'll need to do that. If you get really desperate, I believe you could use an even earlier version and extend the height of the strut notch with a hacksaw. Doesn't have to be perfect because that edge is mostly hidden by your seat belt mount cover on top of the strut tower.

Here's a pic of the last two designs highlighting some of the features. 77-78 on left, 76 (and maybe 75?) on right:

Windowtrim1_zpsbd18858b.jpg

Remember that the doors are different between years. The late 260z and the early 280Z (1975 to 7/96) Z car door panels/ door cards will not interchange with the 8/76 to 1978 cars. The door lock knob and rod and corresponding hole is moved toward the front of the door on the 8/76 to 1978 Z cars. The Windows and regulators are different. Not sure of the date but they are not interchangeable. Most likely 8/76 to 1978. It most likely was done when the government mandated safety reinforcement bar be added to the doors of the 280z. This is also the reason the armrest mounting holes are relocated on the later cars.

The 1970 to 73 Z cars use a flat panel while the 260 to 280Z use a pleated style door card. There are also differences in the seats, their sliders and the seat mounting points.

There are differences in the colors offered and textures. For example the tan is different between years.

Carpets are different between models and years. For example the rear deck carpets are cut different.

Footwell side panels are different between years.

I hope this helps as a starting point. I am sure there are more.

Good luck,

JB

• 6 years later...
21 minutes ago, zed2 said:

Different size molding to accommodate different size evaporator tank. These may not be 100% interchangeable from a molding perspective.

Thanks,

Keith

Here's the single on a '71. Maybe the single is the early cars and the double is the later 240s. That's my guess.

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/news/2001/time-warp-datsun-240z-sells-for-au463000

Screenshot_20200814-174528_Samsung Internet.jpg