IGNORED

tick tick tick

cardogman1

Hello Z freaks the name is cardogman and I have yet another problem. I need a diagnosis. Here goes.

Last week I had Tokicos installed . I don't know whether this sound was occuring before or after the installation. This what I here inside the vehicle and if I role down the window I seem to here it outside the vehicle sort of near the front drivers side wheel. Tick Tick Ticking. It speeds up when I go faster and it slows down when I go slower. I think I know what it is but I am not sure and it's driving me crazy. It's not very loud.

What is the problem?

I am cardogman

Burt

Hi Burt:

I do not know what this noise is, but I must admit that on occasion, I hear a similar sound from the front of my car when I have the window down. I also, used to hear it from other Z's that I've owned. I've checked to make sure everything is as it should be numerous times and cannot figure out what is the cause. But since everything seems to be OK, I've just come to accept it as a "normal" noise, and I don't worry any about it much.

What do you think it might be? I'd still like to find the cause.

Carl

Hi Carl,

I spoke with 2 many in the chat room he thinks it's coming from behind the wheel something about some overhang of a something or other rubbing against something. How do you like that for an answer. Effin car. I think it might be speedo cable but the speedometer isn't jumpy. I don't know it's probably something that has come up to relinquish more money from my pocket to someone else's pocket.

Well, since you didn't tell me that someone had done a spring change when we were chatting, that does reinforce my idea that someone may have bent the dust shield and it's hitting the rotor. Could be something else, but that seems a logical one...

:ermm:

Hmm,, I don't think the noise on my current car is coming from the dust shield. It could be, but on a previous Z I removed the dust shields to see if the noise I heard on that car was from it, and the noise continued. Kind of a strange situation. On my cars the noise is only noticable at low speeds. When I get up to about 20 or 25, I don't hear it any more. I usually hear it when making a turn from a stop light/sign.

Gremlins!

Oops, I thought you were one of the ones that was looking to change springs and cartridges... my mistake, but they still would have disassembled the spring assembly to change it or even removed the whole thing. Which could have gotten something bent ot out of place.

I'm going to go out on a limb and wager another guess, it could be an exhaust leak. Either at the gasket at the head or possibly at the collector. This will give you a loud "ticking" sound that will easily be heard inside the car. You won't hear it unless you listen very carefully while the car is idling even if you have the hood up, but while driving it will be quite noticeable...

Just another random guess...:ermm:

And the noise would be coming from where you described it as well....Sometimes they can be very difficult to find if it's on cylinders 2-5.:cross-eye

Originally posted by cardogman1

2 many

I thought about that and I agree with you it may very well be a leaking exhaust gasket. I will investigate that.

Thanks

Burt

This may be obvious, but the easiest way to confirm that, is to push in the clutch and let off the gas when you hear the tic noise. If it goes away, it is likely the exhaust leaking. If it doesn't change, (like on my car) it is related to "wheel rotation speed" and not the engine. The noise I was refering to on my car is definitely related to the rotation of the front wheel, not the engine.