Alternator Upgrade - Highly Recommended - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Alternator Upgrade - Highly Recommended

Featured Replies

As birthday present to myself, I had the MSA Alternator upgrade ($120) installed a NissTech in Charlotte. While I was at it, I had them do the headlight relay ($148), parking light relay ($120) and marker light conversion ($57) upgrades as well. I had the parts laying around and I could have done all this myself, but I don't have much time off lately.

I highly recommend the alternator upgrade if nothing else. All the lights are brighter and the wipers have been raised from the dead. The ignition has to be getting more spark, which is a very good thing.

The guys at NissTech are good to go - both partners are experienced Datsun techs and their shop is the regional resource for southern North Carolina. Very Z, 510, and Nissan savvy and honest to a fault.

  • 3 weeks later...

I installed the alternator upgrade some time ago, but continue to have one problem. The 280Z uses a wider V belt (.47 in outside width vs. 240 Z .41 in outside width.) The 240Z belt 7335 rides very low in the alternator pulley and at startup slips. I tried installing the 240Z alternator pulley on the 280Z alternator, but then the pulley is offset from the fan and crank pulleys. I tried using belt sized for the 280Z alternator and that rides very high in the fan and crank pulleys. Has anyone come up with a solution or do you just live with it?

Edited by 72autoZ

  • 1 month later...

Zspecialties sells a belt for his high output alternator upgrade which addresses the same issue you have. You can check it out on his web site. If you get his belt, I think it has the manufacturer and part number so you can purchase one locally.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.