IGNORED

Manual or electric fuel pump?

IdahoKidd

I am sure this has been asked and answered somewhere in the archives but I haven't triggered the key words to find the answer.

When replacing the engine in a 240 with a 280 for example, or when changing the head over to one that doesn't have the boss opened for the mechanical fuel pump, what is the best way to get a fuel pump up and running? I have a good running n42/n47 engine I am installing in a 240 but it of course doesn't have the boss opened up nor the lobe for the fuel pump (I assume). This car didn't come with the secondary electric pump. In keeping with an original appearance, my heart wants to install the mechanical pump. It seems more practical to put in an electric.

If I put in electric, where would I mount it? (firewall or near tank?) Any particular brand work easier/better? I know I need to change to the oil sending unit with the cut out switch, what signals the pump to work for the first few seconds to prime the system?

What have those of you that have been through this done?

Thanks!

Leonard

Most 240's have the wiring already for an electric fuel pump, you just need to find it and activate it by completing the circuit. There has been thousands of posts on this, but pump location is up to you and there are many options on pumps. I run a RX-7 pump-quiet!

FWIW, I have an F54 block with an N42 head in my '73 Zed. As you stated there is no place for the old manual fuel pump. I used a Carter electric pump instead. It works fine. It is a bit noisy, but I can't hear it after idle. Beware that sometimes the old relays located on the passenger side could cause problems in the electrical circuitry. I had a shorting problem which burned up the fuel pump wires behind the dash. I repaired it, but it happened again so I ran a wire directly to the fuel pump bypassing the factory relay which I believe had failed. So far there have been no more problems, but to be on the safe side I am planning a new relay for this circuit. I also utilized a switch "t-ed" off the oil pressure sender that will shut off the pump if the engine is not running.

Cheers, Mike

Hey Leonard,

I have a 76 280Z that was converted to SU's in 2004. It was a daily driver and ran fine.

I have a mechanical fuel pump from a 240. It was a straight bolt on. I did add a Fram G-3 fuel filter at the tank as well.

New Fuel Pump: Kyosan 240z

From Auto Parts Warehouse Item # W0133-1758912.

Dave Ruiz