IGNORED

HELP! Upgraded alternator in my '75 280z but headlights now won't work.

nissanthanh

So I did the upgrade, but when I couldn't find the correct green-red wire that was explained herehttp://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/alternatorswap/index.html, I tried to unplug some of the other wires from the triangular/3wire plug. One side is all black and the other is red blue n green.

This guy seems to have had the same issue.

280zx Alternator Swap Into 75 280z - Z-Car - Ratsun Forums

Car runs now, but the headlights won't turn on. The driving lights do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any help would be great. I'm now looking through the wiring diagrams I'm finding online.

Here's a shot of her....

post-30160-14150827831308_thumb.jpg

post-30160-14150827834043_thumb.jpg

So the blue and green wire that are not attached(one has electrical tape on it), are supposed to be in the same socket as the yellow, I believe. I just don't know which order. The other side of that plug(female) is all black wires, so I wouldn't even know which to put in even If i had a diagram.

post-30160-14150827834585_thumb.jpg

Edited by nissanthanh

I'm not suggesting that you do the modification in the attached link. But there is a drawing that shows the link. (Two link meanings in one post! - woohoo).

I might have the color wrong. Apparently it's the black one, per two posts previous, the FSM drawing. Although black is the high amp link so that doesn't make sense. atlanticz shows black as alternator and ignition relay. So there's confusion. The 75 FSM seems to have mistakes.

Either way, worth a check.

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fusiblelinks/index.html

Edit - black in 75 appears to run many things. They added two more links in 76, splitting the headlights out on to their own. So, overall, my post is only helpful in that it directs you to the FSM. Your 75 would not run if the black link was blown.

Edited by Zed Head

ah-ha! i'll be sure to check that when I get a chance this week. Thanks Zed Head!

hopefully i'll fix this just in time before my dapper projectors come in. =) Then she'll finally be my DD. I just hope the other wires in my first picture that are hanging out(yellow is in, green, blue are out of socket) aren't needed after I replaced the alternator... *crosses fingers*

I think that some of those extra wires are hot. One probably hot all the time (connected to the battery), the other hot when the ignition is on. Better check and insulate.

Here's a check that you should do - with everything off, disconnect and reconnect the battery negative post. Look for a spark at the terminal when you connect and listen for a relay click in the cabin. There's a problem with 76 that you may or may not have with 75.

Okay. So I'll have someone sit in the cabin and listen for a click.

What problem does the 76 have? And what if there are no relay clicks from cabin?

If there isn't a spark, then I'm good? Ugh... it all started because of the stupid '75 not having that green+red wire that was supposed to be there as stated but was capped off....

Okay, so let's get this straight. The wiring diagram of the 75 identifies the wire from the engine bay harness going to the 1 pin on the voltage regulator connector as green/red. You say that wire was not present. I see a blue wire in the picture. Does it get 12 VDC when you put the key into the Run/On position? Does it lose 12 VDC when the key is off? Was the blue wire next to the green wire on the 6-wire connector? If so, that's the same as green/red. That would go to the white/black wire.