IGNORED

Steering Rack Disassembly and Refurb

Captain Obvious

Captain:  Just got through reading your post on restoring the rack and pinion steering on your z.  Nicely written, but I was unable to access the pictures that go with it.  If you still have the pictures available I would like to see them.  I’m in the process of breaking down my R&P steering from my ‘71 240, but have been unable to get the last remaining parts off so I can remove the rack from the tube in order to do a thorough cleaning and put in fresh grease (something newer than 53 years old).  I was able to remove the pinion and replace the bearing and seal.  Picture is attached to give you an idea of what I’m trying to remove.  
Thx, Greg

image.png

23 hours ago, GregD said:

have been unable to get the last remaining parts off so I can remove the rack from the tube. Picture is attached to give you an idea of what I’m trying to remove.  

Greg, I have only disassembled the later style rack (280), so I'm not positive about the function of that part you are trying to remove. But if it's like the 280 rack, that thing should either tap off or screw off the end of the rack. I would try to twist (in the "unscrew direction") and pull and see what happens.

Was there a lock nut threaded onto the end which you already removed?

And as for plcs... I reloaded them on page seven of this thread. Take a look here and see if this works for you:
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/48621-steering-rack-disassembly-and-refurb/?page=7

There were lock nuts on both ends which were easily removed.  The remaining part on each end is being difficult.  I’ve tried unscrewing it and have stopped short of tapping it with a hammer.  Thought maybe it had a c clip on each end, but do not see evidence that one is in place.

I’ll take a look at your pictures and then try it again tomorrow.

Thx for the quick reply.  I’ll let you know how it goes.

11 hours ago, GregD said:

There were lock nuts on both ends which were easily removed.  The remaining part on each end is being difficult.  I’ve tried unscrewing it and have stopped short of tapping it with a hammer.  Thought maybe it had a c clip on each end, but do not see evidence that one is in place.

I’ll take a look at your pictures and then try it again tomorrow.

Thx for the quick reply.  I’ll let you know how it goes.

The parts you are looking to remove will slip off, but are easier to remove if you unscrew them.  It has a bonded rubber layer on the inner diameter, and from its position on the rack, the threads on the end of the rack imprint on the rubber.  

If I recall correctly, I slide it a bit toward the end of the rack until it hangs on the threads, and then unscrew it the rest of the way.

All very helpful information!  We’re celebrating Thanksgiving a day late so will give it a look tomorrow.  
Thx to everyone who provided information!  The pictures were amazingly clear and detailed.  I need to remember to have decent lighting when I’m taking pictures—definitely makes a big difference.

Thx, Greg

• Like 1