IGNORED

AC kit for 1972 Datsun 240Z to use with original indash controls in panel

jalexquijano

Recently bought a 1972 Datsun 240z that has never had an AC system installed.

i really need to know if the there is any kit that will fit perfectly in this car

with no components hanging down underneath the passengers

glove box? Will i be able to opérate it using the original indash ac

control knobs actually present in the car?

The kit i want should be controlled by the original indash panel controls and not by an additional set of controls as i dont want to modify anything in the car.

Any good advice?

Courtesy Nissan kit $999.99 - made for your car.

However,you stated that you want to use stock dash controls to operate the AC. That won't happen. None of the stock sliders are made to supply switched power to the AC or adjust the level of cooling. The existing sliders merely close and open ducts and valves.

The AC kit is not obtrusive and can be placed under the dash, out of sight.

Dennis

Courtesy Nissan kit $999.99 - made for your car.

However,you stated that you want to use stock dash controls to operate the AC. That won't happen. None of the stock sliders are made to supply switched power to the AC or adjust the level of cooling. The existing sliders merely close and open ducts and valves.

The AC kit is not obtrusive and can be placed under the dash, out of sight.

Dennis

Thanks for your prompt reply. I was really considering on using the stock controls that came in the heater panel of the car. But due to your advise i will have to settle with the following options to choose from and rely and your final advice on the most efficient kit for this car:

Motorsport! Complete A/C Kit, 70-73 240Z R-134A - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts

1970-1973 240Z A/C (R134 freon) :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

Vintage Air - Inventors of Performance Air Conditioning - www.vintageair.com (http://www.vintageair.com/flipbook/)

I want a powerfull full cooling unit and slide controls i can adapt indash. I dont want to use underdash controls.

Awaiting for your response.

I've done three Vintage air conversions to Z's in the last few years and will do another on a 510 this winter. All went well and function very well. There is at least one thread on here about those conversions. One person did a very nice job of using the stock control panel levers to actuate the Vintage Air electrical controls hidden behind. This required extensive modifications to the control panel as you can imagine, but its possible.

These installations are very very custom in nature, and require about 50-70 hours to complete. You have to fabricate EVERYTHING, from compressor brackets to control panel integration, underdash evap and blower mounting, air plumbing, A/C and heater piping and wiring. The dash has to come out and you go from there.

I've done three Vintage air conversions to Z's in the last few years and will do another on a 510 this winter. All went well and function very well. There is at least one thread on here about those conversions. One person did a very nice job of using the stock control panel levers to actuate the Vintage Air electrical controls hidden behind. This required extensive modifications to the control panel as you can imagine, but its possible.

These installations are very very custom in nature, and require about 50-70 hours to complete. You have to fabricate EVERYTHING, from compressor brackets to control panel integration, underdash evap and blower mounting, air plumbing, A/C and heater piping and wiring. The dash has to come out and you go from there.

Which of the Air Conditioning Kits and indash controls will fit and cool the best for this car? They offer the GEN II MINI and some other models. I would not like to see anything hanging down the passenger´s floor.

Such as the following kit advertised on EBAY:

Datsun 240Z 260z 280z Complete AC System | eBay

I trust on your advice and await for your response before ordering the kit.

That was me who modified the stock controls. Really wasn't that hard, but did take some tinkering.

Made new control cables from hobby store materials and some minimal sheet metal brackets made with just normal garage tools.

Will try to find some pics of the finished assembly.

That was me who modified the stock controls. Really wasn't that hard, but did take some tinkering.

Made new control cables from hobby store materials and some minimal sheet metal brackets made with just normal garage tools.

Will try to find some pics of the finished assembly.

Please guide me and let me know which is the best kit in the market?

Please guide me and let me know which is the best kit in the market?

I doubt that there is one "best kit" in the market, but rather different kits that are "best" for meeting the needs of various buyers.

If you ask me which is best, I'll tell you it's the one I have from MSA. If you ask Oiluj, he'll tell you the best is from Vintage Air. It's kind of a case of pay your money and make your choice based on factors that pertain to you and your Z.

Are you able to do the fabrication work yourself?

Will someone else be installing the kit?

Is cost a factor?

How important is it to use the sliders to control the AC?

And more.

All of the kits will make your Z cool and comfortable, especially if you have a set of rear window louvers. Only you can decide which is best, in part, by using the recommendations of others in this group. Based on my 41 years of owning an air conditioned 240Z, I can attest that the MSA kit provides ample cooling when the outside temperature is 118º where I live in the desert.

Good luck on your search!

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

I doubt that there is one "best kit" in the market, but rather different kits that are "best" for meeting the needs of various buyers.

If you ask me which is best, I'll tell you it's the one I have from MSA. If you ask Oiluj, he'll tell you the best is from Vintage Air. It's kind of a case of pay your money and make your choice based on factors that pertain to you and your Z.

Are you able to do the fabrication work yourself?

Will someone else be installing the kit?

Is cost a factor?

How important is it to use the sliders to control the AC?

And more.

All of the kits will make your Z cool and comfortable, especially if you have a set of rear window louvers. Only you can decide which is best, in part, by using the recommendations of others in this group. Based on my 41 years of owning an air conditioned 240Z, I can attest that the MSA kit provides ample cooling when the outside temperature is 118º where I live in the desert.

Good luck on your search!

Dennis

The work and fabrication will be done by the shop that installs the AC KIT here in Panama, Central America where the temperature is 36 degrees Celsius. I just want a kit that can accept an indash modification without altering the original look and cool the car enough.

I agree with Dennis that which kit is best is a matter of application and opinion. They probably will all work about the same.

Here's a link to pics of my controls modifications.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/interior-s30/38904-stock-looking-vintage-air-c-controls-part-1-a.html

Here's a link to the pic of the controls installed with new control graphics printed on self-adhesive mylar on a laser printer.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachments/interior-s30/37206d1279510439-custom-vent-ducts-vintage-air-c-install-hvac-controls-installed.jpg

I agree with Dennis that which kit is best is a matter of application and opinion. They probably will all work about the same.

Here's a link to pics of my controls modifications.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/interior-s30/38904-stock-looking-vintage-air-c-controls-part-1-a.html

Here's a link to the pic of the controls installed with new control graphics printed on self-adhesive mylar on a laser printer.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachments/interior-s30/37206d1279510439-custom-vent-ducts-vintage-air-c-install-hvac-controls-installed.jpg

Just Perfect. The same thing i want to do. Which kit did you bought? Does it really cool the car and does not leave any component hanging under the glove box? Temperature is really an issue so i need something that also blows really cold.

Also please send me a list of the parts i will need to purchase to complete this task mantaining the stock look of the panel as close as possible.