IGNORED

Just bought a 280Z, engine will not run properly. Help!

HSL

The popping and backfire is still there. But it was worst right after start up and engine ran a bit smoother after a couple of minutes, still it had hesitation when giving throttle.

Since most tests I've performed has been ok, I will check once more for unmetered air and I will try another ecu.

• 1 month later...

Update on my problem.

It looks like I have found the source of the problem, although I have not been able to drive the car and feel the behaviour of the engine during load due to heavy winter weather.

But, after changing the spark plug wires the engine responded much better and no backfire of any kind. I did a recheck of the old wires and it turned out that some of the wires only gave spark every now and then. First time I started working on the engine I just checked for spark on one spark plug, should have checked them all I guess :D

Thanks for all help with my problem :)

Now I can move on and deal with the rust issues. Is the area around the hood hinge on the passenger side a common area for rust? The coolant expansion tank is close to the rusted area but haven't seen rust close to that on other cars...