IGNORED

Please Help ID my Transmission year !Clutch replacement gone sideways !

fuzze

hey all , I wrote a few weeks back about doing a clutch replacement and I had problems right away , I will add that my 71 z has had a 5 speed swap from the PO and I would like some help with a issue with the pressure plate . One of the respondents to my post said that my issue was to short of a PP . What came out when I pulled everything apart was a PP that is 5\8 inch taller than the replacement PP . What I am hoping is that someone can help ID the pressure plate with some cross reference #s . it is a Ampco , 8 and 7\8s dia , stamped # e4302 , 30210 , vu

Transmission has stamped on top of the bell housing # 7922151 , L5 in raised letters at the reverse switch and written just below shifter freehand style with welder in large letters # 4-7-2

The spline is 24 teeth and in raised letters K , 5829 35

any help is appreciated as I am with out a car to have my fun in .

Thanxz Chris

post-15588-14150824897301_thumb.jpg

post-15588-14150824897937_thumb.jpg

post-15588-14150824898485_thumb.jpg

post-15588-1415082489903_thumb.jpg

post-15588-14150824899563_thumb.jpg

post-15588-14150824900113_thumb.jpg

post-15588-14150824900652_thumb.jpg

I ran into a similar issue with my 71' as well, turns out the early pressure plates were taller than the later and most replacements today are the shorter variety. to fix the issue you should get the corresponding throughout bearing sleeve to math the pressure plate. I ended up getting one from Napa for a 80's 280zx and it worked. I really need one that's even longer as my fork through is a bit limited by the shorter collar but it works.

Several people over the years (me and, I think, Eurodat, from this forum) have determined that a stack height of ~92 mm from the flywheel surface to the surface the clutch forks ride on, will pretty much guarantee that the parts will work together. I've attached a picture to demonstrate. Measure to the tips of the diaphragm fingers and subtract to get the collar height you need. There are three or four different collars out there.

Edit - I see that you've already taken the measurement in your first post. Do the math and hope you can find the right collar.

Edit 2 - I re-read your post and realized that you didn't really ask a question. But, 92 mm is still good information. Anyway, good luck.

post-20342-14150824901253_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zed Head

Hi Chris, Just saw your post. Im on holidays and dont log in much atm.

The transmission you have is the 5speed out of the 280Z (FS5W71B) which is known as the wide ratio of the two "B". The later FS5W71B in the 280ZX is the close ratio. Leon V has a thread on identifying these.

The old clutch looks original, but the height differance you see is not such a problem.

Meassure the height with the throwout collar/bearing on top. The section where the clutch fork contacts the collar should be around 92mm. You need a collar the match this measurement.

There are several different collars out there:

240Z series 1, 240Z & 260Z and the 280Z. I dont have the info by hand, but I can post it when Im back home if you still need it. Plus the ones used in later versions 71C trannys and the datsun 1200 collars that creap into the picture.

Chas

Hi Chris,

Just looking at the photo's on the computer instead of a smartphone. Looks like someone swapped the transmission for a FS5W71B 5 speed out of a 280Z (Wide ratio) and left the F4W71A transmissions clutch in place with the throw out collar.

Your first photo shows clearly the clutch fork is out of the F4W71A Typa A 4 speed transmission. See extra hole for the return spring on slave cylinder.

Your throw out bearing collar is most probably also out of the F4W71A transmission and too short for the new clutch pressure plate.

Messure the distance from behind the bearing to where the clutch fork contacts the collar.

The distances are:

Type F4W71A 4 speed - 16mm.

Type F4W71B 4 speed in the later 240Z/260Z - 29mm.

Type FS5W71B 5 speed in 280Z - 25mm.

The new pressure plates is for the later models. Check with the supplier to confirm. Most parts stores dont know the difference and give you the later version. I am not sure if the early version is this available. If thats the case, you will need to hunt down a collar for a 280Z since thay are the most common to find.

Goodluck

Chas