IGNORED

new to the Z

now I have up in air and good look it has rust need floor pans and somebody try to fix the core support so I find one and replace pass lower door frame also rusty. so far that the worse of it

Fixing the box will be the primary consideration before going any further. Gotta have a sound box to bolt stuff to. Once the box is sound you are good to go.. 'til then not so much....

I'd love to say you need carbs but that'll be another project for another time......

Hopefully some of your local owners can point you in the right direction for the heavy lifting rust repair wise.

Welcome to the club Dan! Looks like you have a great father son project there. As others have already said, evaluate the rust and what it will take to fix it before going too far. One question, on the passenger side door panel, there looks to be a metal plate, is that what it really is? Do you have any idea what its purpose is other than look cool? I have a '72 as well and currently going through a bumper to bumper rehab on it. Check out the various build threads around here. That will give you and your son some ideas on how to tackle things. I have one of my own but I have not gone too deep on rust repair yet. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/open-zcar-discussion/47863-lime-green-machine-restoration-thread-1972-240z.html

Good luck and keep us posted!

The metal plates look like they are "Toe Kick Guards". They were an AMCO Accessory back in 72. Although they seem a little larger than I remember. I think I still have a set somewhere. They are intended to protect the door panels from being kicked accidentialy while getting in/out of the car. To bad they didn't make a "guard" for the left side of the drivers seat... LOL

BTW - that door panel looks like it is in pretty good shape..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

What's cool about the Z is that the design is timeless and appealing to even our kids generation. I'm even impressed how much attention my car gets from all ages. So hopefully your son will stay engaged in the project since it sounds like he will be doing the posting :)

I think one of things you will appreciate about the Z is that they are easy to work on- just by the standpoint of room to wrench! When's the last time you leaned over the fender to pull the starter?