IGNORED

I'm back!

Well after all these years, I am back.

I used to have a 1970 240z running project car four years ago. My wife got pregnant and we were already tight on cash so I had to sadly sell it.

I am now back into looking at Z cars.:cool: Hoping to be able to pick one up after I graduate in a year or so. I figured I would start getting myself reeducated for when the time comes. Start saving the pennies as well.

What happened to all the nice threads that listed all the different types of heads, transmissions, differentials, and what fit what and what was required to make stuff fit?

Because cars are still fairly plenty, just getting pricey, I'm thinking that I am going to pick up the engine, transmission and differential and put them in storage. They are little harder to find, so would be cool to have what I need when I have the car I want.

I'm going to get eventually another 240z but less of a project car. Willing to pay the premium for a solid condition car. Ebay still has them floating around, as I am sure all the Datsun forums.

All I know atm that I want to do is the L28ET swap with an LSD diff. This is what I originally wanted to do with my previous 240z.

I always enjoyed the idea of turning the L24 into a little screamer though. Cam, l28d crank and tripple carb it. But the $$ seemed to always be hard to justify cause it would still be rough to get 200hp no? L28ET with just a tee tiny bit of work is 200hp.

Just wanting to find out what transmission and LSD combo would work best.

Also would like to get educated on the 3.0/3.1 L28ET strokers.

Not a lot of help to find here on the L28 turbos.

Someone just put a lot of work into an engine timeline which was nice since it laid out the different year heads and blocks.

The easiest way is to find a complete 28ET motor because you will have all the parts( exhaust , oil pan, plumbing ), or just find the best deals on stuff and throw any motor together and pressurize it, just keep the CR down a bit.

As far as LSD, do the STI swap and don't look back. OEM Subaru quality with choice of ratios and made in this century and plenty good for most moderate HP goals .

Hi Red, Welcome back. Sounds like you have a good plan for your project. Now to just find it.

Im have a 280Z and planning to upgrade to the FS5W71C and a R200 LSD out of a 300ZX. I found a good transmission and planning on fitting it next winter. That might be worth investigating for your project.

Goodluck hunting.

Chas

Awesome! Thats the school I am attending now.

Low and behold, found a 82' 280zx turbo for sale locally on another Datsun forum. Going to go look at it tomorrow. Potentially good price, so as long as their isn't too much wrong with it, and its automatic w/ low miles. I hope the wife lets me bite the bullet if its good enough. Way earlier then I thought, but I'd love to get in one now. Tide me over until a 240z build. Maybe resurrect one from the dead.

Edited by red_dog007

Luke,

I graduated UTC in 2005 with a computer science degree. For the last two years I worked on campus in the Media Resources (AV) department. I only made about $500 a month, but working part-time allowed me to focus more on classes. I really liked attended UTC. What are you studying?

Were you able to look at the 280ZX? I checked Craigslist and from your description it's the one in Benton.

Robert S.

Luke,

I graduated UTC in 2005 with a computer science degree. For the last two years I worked on campus in the Media Resources (AV) department. I only made about $500 a month, but working part-time allowed me to focus more on classes. I really liked attended UTC. What are you studying?

Were you able to look at the 280ZX? I checked Craigslist and from your description it's the one in Benton.

Robert S.

Yeah, the one in Benton. It was ok. Was hoping it would have been in a little nicer condition. Good bit of rust on it. It's a pass unfortunately. It's better that I wait anyways. Get something that is a little more that requires a little less work just to get going. I've been thinking it would be super nice to get a DD, and a 280ZX-T would be really nice. It was my first time actually looking at a 81-83 280ZX. Everything I have looked at have been 70's models until now.

Doing CompSci Info Sec. Working at TVA just like everyone else in the CompSci and Engineering departments. Great programs if you want to work for TVA. Pretty much guarentee so long as you have the grades, which is only a 2.75GPA.

Yep. got my mind set on 81-83' 280zx Turbo 2+2. Going to get one in some pretty decent condition so it can be a daily driver from the get go. I was surprised that the back sets will actually be fairly functional for young kids. I drive 95% of the time by myself, but that is an addition I always have to think about now having two kids. The interior is a bit different then the earlier Z's but I still very much like it. Seems more suitable for a DD.

Been finding some nice looking cars, but Im sure I have to wait. Maybe this time next year I can seriously look around for something.

I'm not too power hungry. Do the standard couple hour mods and get it intercooled. I have some friends who as Clarkson would say are all about the "POWRRRRRRRRRRRRR".

It seems pushing the limits of the stock turbo doesn't require much, and doing some rough calculations, still makes it very quick accelerator.

I just really hate driving the Buick. It gets good mileage, and that is about it. Maybe not that much slower than a stock 280zx, but its just so dang boring. I miss driving a manual. More then I thought I would. I'll keep pushing the wife though. Bout all I can do. The 81-83 are still priced reasonably, and I'd like to jump on one before these things go up up in price. I have noticed the at least with the 240z, but I also look at those, that they are getting pretty pricey over the past four years.

Still want a 240z, but what I want to do, seems like it will be best suited for weekend duty.