Jump to content

IGNORED

Why are my mikuni's backfiring?


steve91tt

Recommended Posts

A quick update on my Mikuni issue. I ended up having a small set of vacuum leaks around my carb/manifold o-rings. The o-ring comes quite close to the edge of the outside surface of the canon manifold in one spot on every runner. I added a small dab of RTV in that area. I also rechecked the timing and found that it was 5 degrees lower than it should have been! Not sure how it got that way but I fixed it and now she idles fine.

I ran a time trial event last week at the local track and it performed flawlessly.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The o-ring is close to the outside of the manifold so the porting does not effect things. Here is a photo of the RTV smear in the notch I'm referring to.

post-20531-14150824324461_thumb.jpg

Not the neatest job of applying the RTV but at least it got me on the track. I'll tidy it up later.

Todd at Wolfe creek racing pointed me at the solution.

I think the timing was 75% of the solution. Vacuum leak was the other 25%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.