IGNORED

75' 280z Starter not starting - any ideas would be appreciated!

rsperegrin1

Hello, I just bought a 1975 280Z.

The starter works when I jump it, but not when I turn the key (ignition). I verified the is no power coming from the wire (connected to the starter) that is supposed to turn the starter on.

Also, the fuel pump turns on and pumps fuel, I hear a cylinder under the clove box operating. All fuses are not blown and the two fusible links are hard wired.

Any ideas of what might be bad or what I can check up stream from the starter starting wire that might be bad?

Thanks,

Robert

Is it, or has it been, an automatic? They have an "inhibit" switch that gives problems sometimes.

Here's a link to the 1976 wiring diagram, that a member here put together - http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/open-zcar-discussion/36494-free-full-color-wiring-diagram-1976-280z.html

Might help you trace the connections. I think that 75 and 76 are similar. Looks like power comes right through the switch and all the way to the yellow wire, passing through one connector on the way.

It could just be the mechanical part of the ignition switch. I had to put a little extra twist in the rod that actuates the electrical part of the switch to get mine to work. You have to take the switch off of the column to check that.

Edited by Zed Head

Hey Guys,

I pulled a Newbee mistake. I had the car in neutral. Thats why the starter wasn't turning. But it gave me my first thrill and dig.

1) I am getting spark at the plugs but no combustion.

2) I'm keeping the battery 12.75 and above. I hear the fuel pump pumping when the car is in neutral but I don't hear it pumping when the starter is cranking.

Any thoughts on these two?

Thanks,

Robert

For an automatic transmission car' date=' the neutral safety switch should allow the car to start in neutral.

1) I am getting spark at the plugs but no combustion.

Fuel?

2) I'm keeping the battery 12.75 and above. I hear the fuel pump pumping when the car is in neutral but I don't hear it pumping when the starter is cranking.

Fuel?

Get an inline fuel pressure gauge. One that reads 50 psi is fine. See if you get/have pressure in your fuel line. *CAUTION* Read through the FSM and see the proper way to depressurize the fuel line before you attempt to install a fuel pressure gauge.

If you have good fuel pressure, start going through the EF section of the FSM and read through the Fuel Injection Bible. (Find that at XenonS30.com.)