IGNORED

ANSA Tips

Stevie P

Hi there

Can anyone provide dimensions for ANSA vertical / twin stack exhaust tips?

Tube size, silencer length etc, I want to see if I can get a local exhaust fabricator to make a set in stainless.

Many thanks,

Steve

Stevie-

I considered something like your idea. It was to get two glasspack mufflers and using a bandsaw, cutting a slice off the side of each and then welding them back together. the slices would have to be thick enough so when you put it back together, the outlets are at the desired spacing (about half the spacing, I'd say.) then you can extend the outlets with a plain tube or a fancy chromed tip. the fun part would be joining the inlets so you can fit it to your exhaust system. You could add some baffles, or rather, some half-baffles, so add to the muffling capacity.

If you are going to just use tubes, I noticed that the Ansa type tips have rings welded inside. Silencers for guns use that kind of design. You'd have to figure out the dimensions for the rings to provideo sound muffling and yet minimize the back-pressure.

Do you think you could use two motorcycle silencers? All you'd need is a Y-tube and a few small straps.

A couple quick graphics of the two'siamesed glasspacks' idea, the heavy line is about where the cut is.

post-2169-14150823520344_thumb.jpg

post-2169-14150823520558_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomoHawk

They varied a bit over the years, but most had a tip OD of 2.5", with center-to-center spacing of 2.75", giving about a 1/4" space between the two tips. The bottom silencer was about 9" long, and the top was a bit longer to accommodate the angle cut tips.

Shortly before I sold my 240Z I built a similar look using a Magnaflow muffler as the base unit.The thread is here - http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/exhaust-s30/42357-customizing-my-msa-flanged-exhaust.html

The muffler/tip combo I built is shown below. If you are planning to have something like this fabbed locally, be warned that neither the Ansa style tips nor the Magnaflow-based rear section quiets much. I found the end result to be very loud, and added a good-sized glasspack in the center.

46397-customizing-my-msa-flanged-exhaust-dsc_2819.jpg

They varied a bit over the years, but most had a tip OD of 2.5", with center-to-center spacing of 2.75", giving about a 1/4" space between the two tips. The bottom silencer was about 9" long, and the top was a bit longer to accommodate the angle cut tips.

Shortly before I sold my 240Z I built a similar look using a Magnaflow muffler as the base unit.The thread is here - http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/exhaust-s30/42357-customizing-my-msa-flanged-exhaust.html

The muffler/tip combo I built is shown below. If you are planning to have something like this fabbed locally, be warned that neither the Ansa style tips nor the Magnaflow-based rear section quiets much. I found the end result to be very loud, and added a good-sized glasspack in the center.

46397-customizing-my-msa-flanged-exhaust-dsc_2819.jpg

I have one like this in my collection of parts. I was not sure if others had done this. I have no real use for the part so if anyone wants it I will sell it.

• 3 months later...