Blue Air Cleaner - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Blue Air Cleaner

Featured Replies

Just bought a 70 240Z and it has a blue air cleaner cover on it. Would like this to be the original color which is always orange correct?

Thanks

Mine is blue as well. Though my car is a '73, it has roundtops and the motor was a Nissan remanufacture. I know that this particular box was originally blue-but the original ones on the Z's were all orange. It is possible that it came off an 810 or a Maxima.

There were replacement air cleaner housings sold over the counter at the parts department that were blue. So they would still be correct, I think.

Edited by geezer

The blue air cleaner boxes were sold by the dealerships. I was at a parts hoard a few months ago and there were 2 of them still in the dealership bags, brand new. I have also heard that they came on the replacement motors that were shipped from Japan.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Greg, I believe you could very well be correct. It certainly is not beyond the realm of possibility. During my career with another automobile manufacturer, I witnessed dozens of instances where stock destined for the parts counters were drawn from the warehouses, in order to allow production to continue uninterupted. If there was no alternate supplier, this was a last resort. Sometimes the parts had to be removed from packaging not normally used during the assembly process, making it obvious or there was some other nuance that pointed it out.

  • 11 months later...

My early '74 260 came stock with the blue air filter, not the orange one

I have never seen an early HLS30U, HLS30UV, or HLS30UN (5 digit serial number) with a blue air filter. Ie., one that does not have the pre-heater tube on the snorkel. However I have a set of the service photographs that were part of the original North American dealership maintenance documents and the air filters / cleaners in those photographs are blue. Jerry's photographs are great for color reference, but a 1970 HLS30U would not have the pre-heater tube on the snorkel.

If I were you, crazee1, I would keep the blue. After all, orange is so common! Show us a picture.

Edited by 26th-Z
speeling and puctation

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.