IGNORED

Quick Question on Rims.

Zachary Lawson

Zach, don't try to move quickly on parts just because they seem like a good deal. You'll end up spending more money in the long run.

Read through the search results here: https://www.google.com/search?q=backspace+offset+site%3Aclassiczcars.com&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

There is information in those posts that will give you a good education on wheel selection, including lug spacing, offset and backspace. IMHO bigger wheels don't necessarily look better on our cars. My personal plans for new wheels target the 16x7 range.

Mesh wheels are not original.

You could have the wheels you have powder-coated if you like, and if you can live with the tire size limitations they may impose. If you powder-coat them, you will want to remove all the coating from the rear mounting surface and lug nut seats before putting them on the car. Failing to do so could cause the lug nuts to come loose while driving.

Sorry I was under the impression that the mesh wheels came from select dealership as the upgraded option. My bad
A common perception. They may have been dealer-installed, but every dealer used different choices, and none are truly "original". Better to call them "period-correct". I like period-correct wheels on these cars, but if you are looking to install tires with any performance capability, the 14" stock or dealer-installed wheels won't allow that. There aren't any performance street 14" tires left, no one makes them anymore.