IGNORED

'71 240Z in LA

Mason

Mason, congrats on the car. I'm curious where you shot the canyon pics. Let me know if you have plans to go to Supercar Sunday in Woodland Hills (you can Google it). It would be nice to see the car in person.

Before you get into beefing up the motor, or swapping it out, you should look into improving the brakes. I'm still deciding which direction to go on mine, but in my opinion they are the weak link in the chain on these cars.

+1 on what tlorber said, best to upgrade what will be needed prior to HP upgrade, then it'll be a more sound decision.

I drove a buddy's Z for a week (5spd, SU's, e-dizzy) and loved it to no end. Each onramp was "geez these mirrors are tiny, get on safely... then "where is the nearest 911 in the fast lane"

absolutely intoxicating. (and TLorber knows which car I was in)

Brake technology has advanced a lot since then.

I totally agree about the brakes. Very important to get those working better before adding more power.

My plan as I said before is to make the base of the car (i.e suspension, brakes, electrical) really solid and then, after the L24 basically gives up on life, I'll do something about it. The swap was really a foot note that got too much attention.

I've added SS lines, new porterfield performance pads and high temp fluid.

I'm looking at some 4 piston calipers for the front and would definitely look to upgrade from drums on the rear.

Super car Sunday looks fun. I'm planning on a drive tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll stop by.

The canyon pics were taken on Las Flores canyon road. Super fun roads around there. That is where I will be tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the welcome and maybe I'll see you at the meet.

Mason, I was planning on hitting the meet around 8:15 and then going through Old Topanga, Piuma, and then through Mulholland at around 9:15. If you are up for it we can caravan.

I'll see when I can get there. If I do make it when you are there, going down the roads together sounds great.

I'll be the guy in a green 240Z. ;)

Mason, I was planning on hitting the meet around 8:15 and then going through Old Topanga, Piuma, and then through Mulholland at around 9:15. If you are up for it we can caravan.

Hey Tlorber,

It was nice meeting you today.

Hopefully next time my radiator won't be peeing itself down the road.

You said that you had a spare radiator at your shop. Where is your shop and how much would you sell me that radiator for?

I'd like to get the car up and running soon.

Nice Z by the way. Paint looks awesome, and super clean bumpers.

Cheers,

Mason

Mason,

The radiator is in Van Nuys. You are welcome to use it until you get a new one. I know it will hold pressure since I drove the car down from Paso Robles. My car tends to run pretty cool though so the radiator was not under much stress. I also have a good radiator repair guy in Northridge.

You can email me at tlorber@naicapital.com.

Thanks tlorber,

That's awesome of you to offer.

I've decided to just go ahead and get a new one installed. I can get insurance to tow the car for free to the shop I use and then even pay for installing the new radiator! At least that's what I understand after reading the policies. They have a way of disappointing though.

Got it. Make sure you get a 3 row for the summers here. I saw a couple people advertising aluminum ones on Craigs List that looked pretty nice, and they were only around $150.00.

If you do not have a cowl on (which most early cars don't) radiators are not very difficult to change out. Just 4 bolts holding them in + 2 hoses to disconnect. Could be quicker and easier than towing the car to a shop.

And you might as well keep the old one. You can either get it repaired as a spare, or sell for scrap at the very least.

Edited by tlorber

I've got a 3 row aluminum coming with twin electric fans and a shroud from ebay for 250 all together.

I think I will switch out the radiator myself. It'll have to be covert since the apt garage has a no repairs sign up. But they probably won't check at 4am or so.