IGNORED

Universal Triple Carb Heat Shield

Dr. 240Z

Steve, you're absolutely right for copper but I've chosen copper for availability & look (If I can say so, since I don't see tubes anymore once installed)

George, nothing fancy here ;) I just had the opportunity to use big machines for free. I had fun doing my own. knowing metal properties & process was my job (mechanical Eng. in automotive)

I am suprised more owners don't make this a DIY project. You don't need a fancy metal brake-just some wood clamped in a vise works well. Metal can be ordered precut for next to nothing, or visit your local DIY store. Maybe it's just me, but spending 120.00 for a piece of bent metal seems like a lot. You could mess up 3 times making your own and still be ahead cost wise.

I do understand that not everybody here is a DIYer though.

I am suprised more owners don't make this a DIY project. You don't need a fancy metal brake-just some wood clamped in a vise works well. Metal can be ordered precut for next to nothing, or visit your local DIY store. Maybe it's just me, but spending 120.00 for a piece of bent metal seems like a lot. You could mess up 3 times making your own and still be ahead cost wise.

I do understand that not everybody here is a DIYer though.

Steve, this is some old stainless steel from a bbq shelf,

post-26437-14150823334575_thumb.jpg

I hate parting with hard earned dollars. It still needs to be finished for rough edges and a better shine but you can get an idea of the good materials that are thrown away all the time.

Chris

post-26437-14150823334346_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

WHere can i get one of these stainless Steel heat shields for my 1972 240z with stock rounded SU CARBS?  This is the one i have in my car and its producing vapor lock or percolation as the manifold transfers too much heat to the carbs. Idle becomes rough in traffic and car tends to stall. Maybe i can get a quote from any of you?IMG_00003174.thumb.jpg.8ce6b0dcfb63a9d76

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_00003176.jpg