IGNORED

Steering Wheel Spoke Colour.

Mr Camouflage

Hey DatsunZguy,

What kind of clear did you use? Was it more like polyurethae for wood, or a clear coat paint?

When I did mine, I used a clear coat paint. It went on real thin and not very smooth. After several coats of painting and light sanding, it looked pretty good, but not up to my usual standards.

I really would hat to strip it an start over though. any suggestions?

Marty

When I refinished mine, I used a straight Flat Black enamel on the metal hub and spokes. For the faux wood, I just used an SOS pad to clean it up and a light touch up with 240 grit sand paper to get all the old clear off. I didn't use any stain, just coated it with a clear acrylic enamel. I used about 6 light coats of the clear.

I don't have any pictures, but it turned out very nice. Similar to DatsunZguy's but without the reddish tint to it. I tend to like the lighter look of the wheel now.

One thing I'd make sure to do, is let the paint on the spokes dry for at least 3 days before you mask it off to spray the wood. I only waited 24 hrs and had a few little spots (nothing bigger than a pin head) where the black paint came up with the tape. But I still have another wheel to do, so I'll do better next time.

Originally posted by Marty Rogan

Hey DatsunZguy,

What kind of clear did you use? Was it more like polyurethae for wood, or a clear coat paint?

When I did mine, I used a clear coat paint. It went on real thin and not very smooth. After several coats of painting and light sanding, it looked pretty good, but not up to my usual standards.

I really would hat to strip it an start over though. any suggestions?

Marty

Hi Marty,

I used Krylon clear on the faux wood steering wheel. When all was said and done I used almost half a can on it. I wanted to get a good thick base coat before I proceeded with the wet sanding and polishing regiment.

Like Kmack, I learned a lesson not to rush the spoke drying process on the first wheel I did. The best tape that I have found for masking is called 10-day masking tape.

I found a roll at my local Ace hardware store. It's blue in color and keeps the over spray off without having a tenacious grip like a Bulldog on a soup bone.

ROFL

• 1 month later...

I used a similar method to strip the wheel rim however I didnot use any stain at all and the wheel looks like a new one. I used clear gloss laquer on the rim about 8 or 10 light coats if I remember right . I lightly sanded with 400 wet/dry sand paper after each coat from about the 5th. One thing in doing this it is important to let the finish dry for severas days and dont rush it . My finish has a deep luster and really looks like wood. I used satin/black rustolium for the center. I dident want to use spripper as this may vary well ruin the wheel. :classic:

Well I finished my Wheel and it looks great.

I used paint stripper on the plastic to remove the clear, which i feel is the best way to do it. Paint stripper wont damage the plastic. Just do the rim and spokes seperately. Sanding the plastic will remove the wood effect from the rim, only slighty if sand lightly, but sand it too much and you will end up with a brown plastic rim. Look at the grip knobs on the back of the rim, and you might see how the wood grain wears off.

I used satin clear in a spray can (wattyl estapol for wood), gave it about 3 coats, let it dry and rubbed it smooth with wire wool, did the same again, then gave it a final 3 coats.

The metal spokes I sanded with wet and dry, back to metal. Undercoated, then painted with matt black. Once dry I gave a light polish with car polish.

• 14 years later...