IGNORED

Insight on an old 240z

z_ya

I just bought a z with no title from Indiana last march, PO had the local police run the vin, since car was originally from Ill I went online and was able to run a check online http://www.ilsos.gov/regstatus/, both came up clear.

Jumped thru the paperwork hoops in Colorado and had the title in about 8 months. It wasn't a hard process, just took a bit

If your title search comes up clear go for it

Bonded titles run around $100-$200 here... I would get a buddy to run the Vin (or License Plate if the car still has one on it-or a tag receipt in the car.)

My Vert had been off the road for around 4 years but was previously registered here in my county, it had a title issue due to the death of its previous owner and his divorce from his wife just before( to relieve her from debt responsibility) took about six months to clear up, and left me with a surprise $800 bill at the tag office when I went to register it... Ask your questions to the people you will see to register and tag the car-and go back to them if you make it happen!

I bought my 240Z from Peoria this summer and haven't registered it in Iowa yet. Just for fun I ran the VIN at: http://www.ilsos.gov/regstatus/ and the title status came up! Of course I have the IL title and already knew it was clean. :) Nate, if this 240Z doesn't work out for you, I hope that you are able to locate one to buy in the future. I see you have a 280Z, so it's great to see more Z's in the Midwest! We pass right by Quincy on our way down to my wife's parents who live near Springfield, IL.

Robert S.

Yeah, it's a decent little town. A guy that works for the city stopped in at work today to get some parts for a city truck and we got to talking further. I asked if i was to buy this if the city can draw up a contract and make it a legal contract that states I own the car outright and if anything were to happen it would fall on the city and not me so I'm gonna be making my move to acquire this car.

The information you requested could not be processed at this time. Please contact the nearest Secretary of State Facility or call the toll free number. This is what shows up word for word when I just searched the VIN for this car using HLS30069776

In Idaho, when the state, city, or their agent sell an item that would normally require a title, it comes with paperwork that allows for it to be titled. If a vehicle is impounded by the city and taken to a lot by a tow truck, the tow company, after a specific time, can sell that vehicle with paperwork to get a clear title. I am betting that there isn't a city out there that has its own impound service. Any vehicle, abandoned, seized in a drug bust, what ever, was towed away by a company on the city's behalf. There is a paper trail. The city can't(ok shouldn't be able to) sell something that isn't theirs. I'm thinking you aren't asking the right people the right questions. What department now has the title? That is, when you give the 'city' money, who are you giving it too? I bet you can take a bill of sale and a statement of seizure or abandonment to the DMV and get a clear title. Also here, we can get a conditional title, used for old farm trucks, rat rods, abandoned cars, whatever, where we get a title, have to publish the information for a certain amount of days, and then if it isn't claimed in two years, it is a free and clear title. There is a way to get a title to this car.

The information you requested could not be processed at this time. Please contact the nearest Secretary of State Facility or call the toll free number. This is what shows up word for word when I just searched the VIN for this car using HLS30069776

forget the HSL30 that is the model number, use 069776 as the vin

Edited by bquiggle

forget the HSL30 that is the model number, use 069776 as the vin

Nope, the HLS30 is requited to identify the string of numbers as a specific car, a strictly numberic vin is limited to to few availalbe combinations-that is why all of it is printed on the "Vin tag".

Use HLS30 69776 or try HLS30-69776

Six Digit VIN's started in Aug of 72 with HLS30 100000

FWIW,

Carl B.

There is no title, this is the posing problem haha. But i have yet to confirm what a city worker said to me and that is. The city will work a note out with me saying that I own the car outright and any problems that might happen will come back on the city and not me. As for a title there is not one that is what the problem is haha i thought i said that. But anyway no one owns the title to this car the person they took it from did not have one and the family member that was helping retrieve it ended up walking away.