IGNORED

[2013] What did you do to/with your Z today?

Arne

Dropped my Z off at the paint and body shop to get the full restoration under way. Some light body work and rust repair/management is under way and in a few weeks... paint and chrome will be added back to the car and then a reuniting of the original engine back to the tranny and body. It's been a few years since they have been together and I look forward to bringing them together and making them as pretty as ever

Finished up my clean up of the top of the engine by installing SS hose clamps (old ones were SS worm type installed in 1977) that are as close to original as I could fine (had to change the screw to phillips head from hex).

Got to drive the car on Saturday to the store to buy new horns and fire extinguisher for the Z. Installed said horns on Sunday.

Car has not been out since October, it snowed on Sunday 4 inches. Tired of snow for this year.

Getting itchy to get her out for the summer.

Finished up my clean up of the top of the engine by installing SS hose clamps (old ones were SS worm type installed in 1977) that are as close to original as I could fine (had to change the screw to phillips head from hex).

Got to drive the car on Saturday to the store to buy new horns and fire extinguisher for the Z. Installed said horns on Sunday.

Car has not been out since October, it snowed on Sunday 4 inches. Tired of snow for this year.

Getting itchy to get her out for the summer.

Just curious: What did you buy for a fire extinguisher and where did you place in your Z?

I got a First Alert at Pepboys this one First Alert Auto Fire Extinguisher - Amazon.com . It's cheaper at Amazon but I had credit at the store and way, it was $22. It is what they had and it's small.

I will probably put it behind the passenger seat or mount it to the front side of the passenger strut tower with a bracket that will bolt under the seat belt cover.

I got a First Alert at Pepboys this one First Alert Auto Fire Extinguisher - Amazon.com . It's cheaper at Amazon but I had credit at the store and way, it was $22. It is what they had and it's small.

I will probably put it behind the passenger seat or mount it to the front side of the passenger strut tower with a bracket that will bolt under the seat belt cover.

Thanks, Mike...it's something that I've never given much thought to 'til now. That said, if it's not too much to ask please send me a pm and picture when you get it installed. I'm going to follow your lead.

Cheers,

George

• 3 weeks later...

Remove the to short link kit,

Machined two longer spacers (paint them)

clean the car as it was in the garage all winter and i did lot of parts sanding

and lots of dusty work under the car.

Got some octane booster

some brake fluid

almost ready for action if the spring can finaly get here.

Long story... My 240z decided she was not going to cooperate today for our club's annual Dealer Drive. As soon as I started her up, the alternator belt squealed. It's done that before. No big deal. I left to go to Cars and Coffee before heading over to the Buckeye Nissan. As I drove the squealing continued. That usually doesn't happen. I stopped at the gas station and filled the tank. The squealing continued, was actually worse, so I drove back home. Checked the belts. Seemed tight enough. My neighbor, George, on his way to Buckeye Nissan in his beautiful 370z Nismo, sees my car in the garage with the hood open and stops by. We both agreed that the belt was properly adjusted, and George notes that it is a bit glazed. I left the Z in the garage and picked up a new belt at NAPA on the way to Buckeye. While there I had a great visit with Z friends and saw some beautiful cars. Decided to go home and see if the belt would do the trick. If so, I'd join the group at Nissan North. I got home, and walked into the garage with the new belt and to my dread, there was a STRONG smell of gasoline. I looked under the car and there was a 4-foot-diameter puddle of gas under my gas tank, the vent hose was leaking. It was the original 43-year-old braided hose that runs from the passenger side of the tank, up into the interior cavity in front of the tail lights, and over to the evaporator tank It was leaking about 2 inches from the muffler! The alternator belt was no longer a priority! I pushed the car out into the driveway, put a bucket under the leak, spread cat litter on the giant puddle, and went to the store for 6 feet of 7/16" fuel vapor hose. Back home I began removing interior panels to get to the evaporator tank and the hose's route to it. At the evaporator tank was a nasty mouse nest that I had to vacuum out before I could get started on the hose. Once that was out of there, I hooked up the hose, routed it to the back of the car and across the back, but before I could put it through the floor to the tank I had to remove the old leaky hose from where it was attached to the tank, which of course, was still pretty full of gas. I lined up my containers, removed the clamp and let the gas flow out. After one container was filled, I swapped containers and poured the salvaged gas into a 5 gallon can through a funnel lined with a rag to filter it. After a few swaps, the tank drained enough to stop leaking, and I was able to attach the new hose and get it clamped-down. Whew! I decided that since I had half of the rear interior panels off, I might as well take off the panel on the driver's side to see if there was a mouse nest there too. Sure enough, there was, and the mice had apparently made part of his nest with the paper of my speaker! No wonder it didn't work. I pulled the speaker out to replace it. I also decided it would be a good time to pull the power antenna out and refurbish it since it doesn't like to operate as confidently as it once did. I guess it will be a while before I get the interior hatch area put back together. By this time, the spilled gas had evaporated, and the fumes were gone. I opened the hood and replaced my alternator belt. Started it up, and the squealing was just as loud and obnoxious as before. I guess I'll be ordering a new alternator.

post-23233-14150823740206_thumb.jpg

post-23233-14150823739348_thumb.jpg

post-23233-14150823740874_thumb.jpg

Yesterday i did refresh Brake and clutch fluids

but back some fuel in he tank

started engine (one of the fule hose feeding a carb was leaking) fixed it

cleaned the garage floor of the mess

and HOURA today was first drive (I love the sound feel and smell well you know)

and had first ``what is that car`` of the year

Love it!!!