IGNORED

Harmonic Damper problem

steve91tt

Matt, as mentioned in my previous post, I did acknowledge it was probably due to improper install when I did the timing cover. No mystery there, I probably forced it on when the key wasn't aligned correctly.

Fortunately the crank looked ok, it was just the key slot on the damper that fractured. On the new pulley, I remember reading on here about someone dabbing a light coat of grease on the bottom of the key, did that and with the new front seal, my oil leak seems to be cured.

*update and quick note on the Oreilly sourced Damper: the pic is little bit misleading because that slightly enlarged disc part of the pulley is HUGE. I barely have 2 mm of clearance between that and the water pump, but doesn't seem to be making contact and spins perfectly balanced, fortunately.

It also felt slightly heavier than the stock 2 row damper, which isn't too great of an issue, however the front slot where the crank bolt/washer slides in - the diameter is just smaller than what the factory washer allows. Ideally I'd have the thick washer machined down to fit, but it was 9 pm on Friday night for me with race day next morning... ran over to the hardware store and ended up stacking couple of washers to match the stock thickness, torqued it to 100 ft/lbs with red loctite.

No oil leaks and revved 3 - 6k rpm all day yesterday, performed beautifully and felt great. Eventually I'd want a lighter one row damper though, I guess we'll see if MSA does follow up on these units in the next upcoming weeks.