IGNORED

3/'70 240z + 280ZX Trans + R180 Diff. Drive-shaft question

ksbeta

Zed- Sorry, yeah it's hard to keep straight.

Car #1 is a 1970 240z. Stock. This has the original 4-speed currently

Car #2 is a 1971 240z. Modified. Has the FS5C71A transmission installed. This is the roadster transmission paired with a 240z bell housing. This will go in the 1970.

280ZX transmission will be going in the 1971. It'll be hard to do the visual inspection since the differential, mustache bar, and halfshafts are all out (as of today) but I can get it bolted back together in January and start measuring. I'll try the drive-shaft from the 1970 - if that works... Fantastic. If not, I'm sure it's easier to find a Series-II driveshaft than a Series-I.

Cheers, and thanks all

Edited by ksbeta

This is more of a curiosity question. The driveshaft I just pulled from the '71, which had the roadster transmission, appears to be a roadster driveshaft. It was unique in that the rear (prior to the diff) has this adjustable length gearing to it. Can be seen in this eBay ad as well... notice at the end it has a good 4" of teeth. Would too much torque shred these things in a Z?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Roadster-2000-5-Speed-Drive-Line-Shaft-/150878926724?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222001%26algo%3DSIC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D13899%26meid%3D4382127452391520462%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1095%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D200702883757%26

To put the FS5C71A out of the roadster into a Z - you have to have the 240Z bellhousing AND a longer tail shaft & housing. {so it's not just the bellhousing}. That transmission and the matching driveshaft were the "competition" parts used in 70/71. That drive shaft with it's bolted flanges is stronger than the OEM units in the Z's. That is the setup that both BRE and BSR ran back in 70-73. So I wouldn't worry about it not being strong enough for a street car.

The differential was moved rearward with the introduciton of the type "B" tranny - ie the 1972 model year. If you are swapping in an 83 tranny - I'd go ahead and move the differential rearward and use the 72 - 78 drive shaft. Nonetheless the driveshaft out of the 70 will work with the 83 tranny - if you leave the differental in its more forward position.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Oh - BTW - that drive shaft and your half shafts use a "splined" interface - they aren't geared.

Edited by Carl Beck

........and if you want to know if the PO already did the upgrade, just look at your rear hangar......if it is straight across the top (early hangar),it hasn't been upgraded. If the top of the hangar curves around the diff (later hangar),the upgrade has been done.

Edited by Diseazd

• 6 years later...

I have a question on the same subject except I’m removing a AT from my 78 280Z with a r180 diff. Replacing it with a close ratio 5spd. Pairing it with the R200 from a 83 280ZX. Can I use the same drive shaft and half shafts from my 78? I heard I need to change the mustache bar as well.