JDMjunkies.ch

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

i guess it's the wrong rubber then. mspeed states it's the "later style" rubber grommet. but yeah, it was just a few bucks so i bought it.
@Captain obvious : since it doesn't fit mine. if you're interested, send me a PM, you can get it cheap from me.

Cheers

17 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I haven't looked into the details of when the change occurred, but the early cars used two independent more "traditional" looking grommets on the hoses. One per hose.

Yes, you're right ;)

Facebook groups can suck. While there are always guys beeing A**holes on the internet, sometimes you really run into nice people that help you with your needs and do that happily as well! Recently i asked around if someone had a RH rear quarter panel in usable shape for sale, so my bodyshop doesn't have to make one from scratch (which is a lot more expensive over here). And a guy called Crow Aries immediately was in. It took a while to get all sorted out, but he even was kind enough to remove the old paint before shipping (didn't even ask for this!). Thank you so much sir! This is the car it was removed from:
28460726_684615288595624_1708044622_o-Ko 

28938591_691936087863544_686843806_o-Kop

After some blasting and cleaning:
P1190727-Kopie.jpg

Needs some minor work but still way better than getting this whole panel made from scratch. With this the RH-side of the car's body should be completed soon :)
P1190728-Kopie.jpg

Oh and he was also kind enough to throw in a hood rod in the package since it appears that i accidentally sold the one i had.. Thanks again sir. Appreciate to deal with you!
P1190730-Kopie.jpg

• Like 1

Not even sure yet if i will end up with solex / Mikuni Triple carbs but, when i was ordering some parts from Japan and saw this set of Manuals for 10 bucks i just couldn't resist.

It's a set of three Manuals / parts catalogue copies in high quality by Mikuni Kogyo corp and Tokiwa (Mikuni / Solex agent in Japan).
P1190737-Kopie.jpg

This one even features a nice picture of the S20 Engine.
P1190738-Kopie.jpg
Now also figoured out the same seller sells new sets with an additional Manual... Still have to read through it though. quite a bit busy atm and can't find time to study all this stuff thoroughly.

Despite beeing in full swing with wedding preparations and working on the new house / Garage / Workshop project, i found a little time to find some parts. Well Honestly they found me this time. I guy from the netherlands which i purchased parts for in the past contacted me about some more parts he found:
A whole bunch NOS 71A transmission spareparts (early 5-speed):
P1190872-Kopie.jpg

With a few 71B parts included as well, like a complete 2nd cear assy :)
P1190873-Kopie.jpg

And because the price was so good i decided to take the complete, disassembled 71B (later 5-speed) as well. I dont really need it but you never know. and the price was too good. If someone is interested i can sell it. But won't actively advertise it and will keep it as a spare transmission at the moment 🙂
P1190874-Kopie.jpg

It has been a while since a serious update on the 240Z has happened. it was a bit of a hectic time the last few weeks. Aside from marrying my wife and having a three-week / 4850km road-trip to sweden and back (See here) we also started building our House including a big Workshop and Garage (See here), which will be the final home of the Z, and where it will be assembled.
At least my bodyshop guy was working during my absence and sent me some updates from the Z. No big things, but again those small details that matter and make the difference between a cheap resto and a bit more serious one. The door gap at the rear fender has been adjusted and aligned, so that it will have a perfect fit. Before:
IMG-20180718-WA0002-Kopie.jpg

IMG-20180718-WA0003-Kopie.jpg

And after my Panelbeater worked his magic. Looks absolutely lovely if you ask me.
Now just hope fore some more work getting done soon :)
IMG-20180730-WA0000-Kopie.jpg

Oh, and waiting for some interesting reads from Japan too 🙂

• Like 2

Congrats Nils.

It was a pleasure to have you and your wife for a short visit. Next time we make it a longer visit.

//Andreas

5 hours ago, JDMjunkies.ch said:

Oh, and waiting for some interesting reads from Japan too 🙂

What was the technique for adjusting the gap? Did he cut it and reweld it or some other technique?

This is just a short (but important) update. The right hand side rear lower corner has been re-attached (replacement part cutout from a donor car, which i found in America) to the car. This means the right side is complete again. At least from the outside. Now just floors, roof, rear and left side left *lol*. allthough i think the most complicated part of the body restauration is completed now. Still will take a lot of months until the rest is completed..
IMG-20180809-WA0005-Kopie.jpg

On 8/3/2018 at 2:08 AM, Patcon said:

What was the technique for adjusting the gap? Did he cut it and reweld it or some other technique?

As far as i know, hee used oldschool hammer and dolly technique to re-shape it.. he's an oldschool perfectionist without a lot of modern day machines. Just takes his time (and my money *lol*) but the results are outstanding.

24 minutes ago, JDMjunkies.ch said:

As far as i know, hee used oldschool hammer and dolly technique to re-shape it.. he's an oldschool perfectionist without a lot of modern day machines. Just takes his time (and my money *lol*) but the results are outstanding.

Yes! His metal work is outstanding. I would have to cut that and reweld or something else equally drastic to close those gaps up.

• Like 1

While i'm busy building my garage/house/Workshop i don't have a lot of time to spend on the cars, but still from time to time i get some things done. like looking for interesting reads. Today this arrived from japan: A set of  Nissan service announcement Book No. 184 "Introduction of Fairlady Z". With tons of information about the then new Fairlady Z.
P1200666-Kopie.jpg

Still need to read through it (and my japanese isn't Very well). but so far i already found some really interesting information in there... For examlpe here the different badging on the different japanese versions of the cars are explained. Sure you find this information in the parts manual as well, but there is a lot more background information and additional information in this books and i absolutely love it 🙂
P1200667-Kopie.jpg

Great project! Maybe you metal beater dude would like to vacation in Wisconsin for a week beating on another metal project? My 1971, cheap for me to fly him here than ship my car to him. 🤣

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

7 hours ago, newtonhubcap said:

Great project! Maybe you metal beater dude would like to vacation in Wisconsin for a week beating on another metal project? My 1971, cheap for me to fly him here than ship my car to him. 🤣

Unfortunately he's at the hospital now. he had planned to work on the car during the next week, but can't at the moment. hope he gets well soon...

Great project congratulations.

Could you please share with us the websites where you are buying all that 240z Japanese stuff ?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, niushork said:

Great project congratulations.

Could you please share with us the websites where you are buying all that 240z Japanese stuff ?

Thanks!

As i mentioned a few times before, i don't buy stuff from a website. JDMjunkies was my import business specialized on japanese parts for motorsports and "tuning". I had to close the shop due to lack of time, but i still have all the contacts in japan.
I buy stuff directly from the suppliers and have it shipped through a personal contact in Japan. But since i closed the business i don't offer this service for other people anymore - i'm sorry. I just don't have the time and nerves for it anmyore 🙂

While our garage- / Workshop- and House build is coming along nicely...
P1200700-Kopie.jpg

P1200702-Kopie.jpg

There was something i've been looking for since a long while to complete my Documentation. And more than once i missed a chance to get one of those. but finally i Managed to get hands on it. Or at least a copy of it. the Nissan Sport service transmission manual. It's basically a Book with lots of background information on all (or most of them) optional transmissions for japanese nissans back in the day. I haven't gone through it yet but the information seems to be very useful... I want to thank a certain Man in Japan for taking the effort to copy this for me in excellent quality. Don't want to name you in public because many others may want to get this too, but you know who you are. Thank you! Will pretty sure post some Z-related data from the book on my Blog over the course of the next weeks. whenever i find time.
Original and copy:

Kats-transmission-Manual-Kopie-Kopie.jpe

Cover:

Scan_20180901-Kopie.jpg

Some basic information about the Z-relevant transmissions:

Scan_20180901-2-Kopie.jpg

On 6/27/2018 at 5:46 PM, JDMjunkies.ch said:

Despite beeing in full swing with wedding preparations and working on the new house / Garage / Workshop project, i found a little time to find some parts. Well Honestly they found me this time. I guy from the netherlands which i purchased parts for in the past contacted me about some more parts he found:
A whole bunch NOS 71A transmission spareparts (early 5-speed):
P1190872-Kopie.jpg

With a few 71B parts included as well, like a complete 2nd cear assy :)
P1190873-Kopie.jpg

And because the price was so good i decided to take the complete, disassembled 71B (later 5-speed) as well. I dont really need it but you never know. and the price was too good. If someone is interested i can sell it. But won't actively advertise it and will keep it as a spare transmission at the moment 🙂
P1190874-Kopie.jpg

Is this 71B the one with the R right below the 5th or the one with the R up and the 1st below ? If it is the first one I might be interested in getting it...

12 hours ago, Patcon said:

Those are some serious concrete forms. Is that a crane sitting at the street?

Yes it is. If you're interested in the build, i have a thread over here: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348387

12 hours ago, niushork said:

My 1972 240z in Switzerland but still driving around with my Antique Florida plates...😎

EFCH3610.jpg

Looks nice, seems like you're located in the west. if you're ever in the north, let me know 🙂

12 hours ago, niushork said:

Is this 71B the one with the R right below the 5th or the one with the R up and the 1st below ? If it is the first one I might be interested in getting it...

Sorry, meanwhile the NOS parts and the 71B has been sold to a happy owner in the french part of switzerland 😉