IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

Also got some updates from the bodyshop. He's currently working on the Framerails, battery-tray area and the passenger-side firewall. I'll let the pictures speak. please note that most of the work is not completed yet, so it might look a bit like a hackjob - but you have to wait until it's done :)
IMG-20150127-WA0001-Kopie.jpg

IMG-20150127-WA0003-Kopie.jpg

IMG-20150127-WA0013-Kopie.jpg

IMG-20150127-WA0012-Kopie.jpg

IMG-20150126-WA0001-Kopie.jpg

IMG-20150126-WA0002-Kopie.jpg

IMG-20150127-WA0000-Kopie.jpg

That's it for now. hope go get the parts ready for zinc-plating soon because this will give me all t he missing fasteners i need to move forward with the subframe assembly...   Now taking a day off and go to the Zoo :)

Honestly i would like to show you some assembly progress here but unfortunately im still in need to get all the small bits and fasteners cleaned and zinc-plated before i can continue. Also I have a bunch of parts that need to be powedercoated so i decided to spend time with this task first:
1) On my way home from work i stopped by the garage because i had a good idea during work. I Finally found a solution to remove those rear subframe bolts from the chassis (the ones that bolt to the moustache bar):
DSC_0602-Kopie.jpg

The wheel-torque wrench with a long shaft and a metal-tube extension finally got them out. Thesre are pretty special so no possibility to get those new. I had to get them out for zinc plating. They have a conical shape with both threads on the top- and lower end.
P1130866-Kopie.jpg

2) Before i went home i made sure to pack up all the parts i need at my home-workshop during the next days. because my garage is a few minutes away from home...
P1130865-Kopie.jpg

3) Decided i need some parts zinc-plated from the pedalbox as well and all the bigger bits need a sandblast and powdercoat so i started the dismantling. Before:
P1130867-Kopie.jpg

P1130878-Kopie.jpg

And after:
P1130877-Kopie.jpg

P1130880-Kopie.jpg

Still need to dismantle the steering column and safety-harness mounts and some other parts before sandblasting / Powdercoating and Zinc-plating all the bits. THEN finally i will hopefully be able to move fast forward with assembly of many small things...

• Like 1

So here we go. Started preparing stuff for getting it zinc-plated / Replated. The company that does the work told me they can only remove slight surface rust and old zinc so i had to remove the thicker rust spots and old paint, grease and rubber:
Started like this: 60 pieces total (Note the Snow in my Garden :D)
P1130881-Kopie.jpg

Gave all the pieces a treatment with paint-stripper. just to make sure everything is gone:
P1130885-Kopie.jpg

After letting it soak for a while and then cleaning it with water. it looked like this - much better already :)
P1130886-Kopie.jpg

Spent another hour or so cleaning all the bits with a dremel and a mini wire-wheel. Much better. Now ill ship it to the zinc-plating company and hope to get the bits back soon :D   
P1130892-Kopie.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another update:
1) While still waiting for the parts to return from the zinc-plating shop i ordered and got some fasteners and small OEM Bits from nissan for the Pedal box. nothing spectacular:
P1130914-Kopie.jpg

2) Also my Bodyshop guy constantly keeps sending my updates andi hope i can visit him once again next week. Hower his work looks very promising and his fabrikation skills are stunning:
IMG-20150202-WA0001-Kopie.jpg

During work (Area below the battery tray):
IMG-20150211-WA0001-Kopie.jpg

The finished, hand-crafted product. Absolutely great in my opinion!
IMG-20150217-WA0003-Kopie.jpg

Today he started with the floorpans and rocker-panels:
IMG-20150219-WA0003-Kopie.jpg

IMG-20150219-WA0004-Kopie.jpg

Current state of the car. Not much original Metal left. but the work is just brilliant!
IMG-20150219-WA0009-Kopie.jpg

3) While waiting for parts and work i decided to disassemble the Steering column. Before:
P1130928-Kopie.jpg

Almost finished. If someone can tell me how the bearings are mounted into the housing and how i can remove them, this would be very helpful. Will get the housings sandblasted and powdercoated and don't think the bearings like to have sand and heat inside. also the service manual, haynes and other books only mention "replace bearings if worn" but not how to... Any advice i'm very thankful for :)
P1130938-Kopie.jpg

Hope the zinc-plating parts will return early next week and another delivery goes to the powdercoating company ;) 

• Like 1

Thanks to a steel tube, a Hammer and the Torch i somehow managed to remove the steering column bearings which are only press fit. However it seems like i damaged the Plastic spacer and i'm still not sure how to remove the bearing on the lower part of the steering column Jacket.
P1130939-Kopie.jpg

And on we go with the updates from the bodyshop. Yves at MUC is currently replacing the Floorpans, seat mounts, and rocker panels and installing the NOS Framerails:
IMG-20150221-WA0000-Kopie.jpg

IMG-20150221-WA0002-Kopie.jpg

IMG-20150221-WA0007-Kopie.jpg

Thats it for now. More to come soon.

• Like 1

Today i have some nice news: Got back my first load of parts from the Zinc plating and yellow-passivating (which makes it look "golden" and also secures it better from corroding:
P1130941-Kopie.jpg

Honestly this was my first attemt ever in doing something like this. so not all parts ended up perfect as i hoped, but however most of them are usable and some of them were for trying anyway only because anything up t 39 kilograms was the same price so i put whatever part i wanted to have replated into the box anyway. Here's a closer look at the colour:
P1130944-Kopie.jpg

So while i was looking at all the nice parts i got a bit motivated and decided to complete at least the fuel cap :) So i started with cleaning the still nice and soft rubber seal and adding a bit of Vasiline (Petroleum lube / Jelly) Just to make it last a bit longer.
P1130945-Kopie.jpg

After done i put it back to the cap
P1130946-Kopie.jpg

And installed all back together. Yay - first part complete :)
P1130947-Kopie.jpg

But not only me was productive today, also Yves over at MUC is working hard at the moment and welded back some hand-crafted rocker panels: Still needs a few touches but it looks brilliant compared to what it looked before :)     
IMG-20150225-WA0000-Kopie.jpg

Here's another view:
IMG-20150225-WA0001-Kopie.jpg

With the zinc-plating delivery today i got a lot of parts back which i was waiting for to complete the steering rack assembly and the Front subframe parts. So Expect to see a lot of these parts assembled soon :)

• Like 1

Since i got the Zinc plated parts back i'm trying to push the assembly of parts. Just because it's so much fun to finally see the puzzle-pieces come together to bigger pieces :D
Started with the installation of the lately returned Zinc plated bolt and lock-nut:
P1130950-Kopie.jpg

Then felt like it makes sense to clean a lot of small bits before putting it together. I mean wile i'm at it.. Dentist tools...
P1130951-Kopie.jpg

And and old toothbrush came in handy and worked fine:
P1130953-Kopie.jpg

The result. Well i even cleaned them another 30minutes more after this picture:
P1130954-Kopie.jpg

Then started with the installation of the rest of the parts. like the steering boot clamp / Dust ring and the tierod-link stop nut:
P1130957-Kopie.jpg

So next step will be the installation of the NAMS / Nagisa Auto Motor sports (Japan) adjustable Tierod endlinks (now discontinued :D) and the steering rack boots.
P1130959-Kopie.jpg

Takes a lot of time to figure out how all belongs together and to clean all the small bits. but honestly it's so much fun :D   

This reminds me of my first Z..

Why didn't you go for a better shell/other 240Z, is it because you wan't a european one ?

Anyhow looks good ! Very nice work..

Remember i have a second chassis for spare-parts. will need to cut a lot of parts from that one soon :)

But the reason was that i didn't have space for a third chassis and my calculations made it pretty equal to buy a 10k$ Chassis in good condition and import it to switzerland (and it still needs work) or get mine done with no extra work and the fact that i save an "unsaveable" car. I know many of you wouldn't propably not go the extra mile, but i feel like it's worth the money and it makes it even more special. From a junkyard-worthy 300 dollar car with rust, dents and bad repair attempts everywhere to the Queen that she hopefully will be in a few years ;)

It was never ment to be a fast restoration (well maybe at the beginning, but that soon changed). The plan was always to have a long-term project and build my dream :)

• Like 1