IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

15 hours ago, Namerow said:

Where did you find those ?

Found them on Ebay of all Things :)

15 hours ago, Namerow said:

And exactly what have you learned, please?

I Initially bought it to remove paint from bolts and stuff. That didn't work out well. Paint seems to hard to remove and needs blasting or paint-stripper.
Then switched to the Delfir-chips which worked really well to remove dust, grease and rust from small parts.
Also had to figure out that a 4:1 mix of Chips to water  (with a few drops of dishwashing-soap) doesn't create too much of a foam or mess, but works well enough to remove the grease and so on.
and last but not least i figured out that you need approx 12hours for all parts until they're mostly clean.
If you prepare the very rusty parts with a wire-wheel brush the results get even better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Namerow said:

What Is a Delfir-chip?

Those green ceramic pyramids (the abrasives) as seen in the Picture below.
These Shakers / tumblers are basically meant to polish small and nice Stones, but if you change the abrasives you can also clean metalparts with them:
I think i made a post about how it works in this threads a few years ago when i bought the machine and made some tests.
I used said delfir Chips and worked out nice. Just be aware that these Chips won't be able to clean inside the bolts threads or inside small Corners or so.
But In my case that's ok.
P1190349-Kopie.jpg

OK, thanks.  I have a similar tumbler that I bought from a USA-based online supplier, Eastwood.  They offer a few different types of media, including the green pyramids.  I'd just never heard them referred to as a Delfir-chip, and a google search on that phrase came up empty, too.  I've had 'ok' results with mine.  It doesn't perform miracles, but it's a lot better than a wire wheel (ouch!) for nuts and bolts.  The green pyramid media doesn't last forever.  They're made from plastic, of course, and the sharp edges wear off over time, diminishing their effectiveness.  They do seem to have a remarkable facility for getting (firmly) lodged inside the threads of certain sizes of nuts!

I've often wondered whether a real tumbler (i.e. rotating 'can') would do a better job than these vibratory machines.  I haven't seen one being offered for sale from any of the suppliers that I deal with, but I think they're available from .

6 minutes ago, Namerow said:

OK, thanks.  I have a similar tumbler that I bought from a USA-based online supplier, Eastwood.  They offer a few different types of media, including the green pyramids.  I'd just never heard them referred to as a Delfir-chip, and a google search on that phrase came up empty, too.  I've had 'ok' results with mine.  It doesn't perform miracles, but it's a lot better than a wire wheel (ouch!) for nuts and bolts.  The green pyramid media doesn't last forever.  They're made from plastic, of course, and the sharp edges wear off over time, diminishing their effectiveness.  They do seem to have a remarkable facility for getting (firmly) lodged inside the threads of certain sizes of nuts!

I've often wondered whether a real tumbler (i.e. rotating 'can') would do a better job than these vibratory machines.  I haven't seen one being offered for sale from any of the suppliers that I deal with, but I think they're available from .

My delfir Chips are made from ceramic and not plastic and so far they've lasted quite good. had the machine rattling for more than a week non-stop now!
I guess "Delfir" is a brand Name by the swiss manufacturer, see here: http://www.polyservice.ch/Keramik_Deutsch_02.09.pdf they also sell small Batches, thats why i Chose These..

This week has been the most busy one car-wise in a while :) Well. I guess that's good?!
Thist itme i've cleaned the ignition switches again thoroughly and assembled them back. Tried to keep the original patina but clean it. And made sure all the contacts are fine.
P1190393-Kopie.jpg

Then installed one of them directly to the previously finnished steering column:
P1190394-Kopie.jpg

Really fun to start putting completed parts together to even bigger completed parts :)
Had the covering ring cleaned, since the old paint wasn't nice anymore:
P1190389-Kopie.jpg

Resprayed it with some rattle-can car-paint in flat black and had it drying under the lamp for a day: 
P1190396-Kopie.jpg

And then put it back to the switch:
P1190406-Kopie.jpg

And then got a package from Poland. Have to Thank Jakub Nurzaj a lot for his support and digging in some old stock to find me this US-Spec Corner valance with the factory cutout for the american turn signals. Cheers mate for the great service!
P1190400-Kopie.jpg

Also thanks for the free datsun europe stickers!
P1190401-Kopie.jpg

So now i have another shipment ready to get rust and paint removed at the alcohol dipping company. Body-parts are now officially complete. Hope i can push my bodyshop to hurry up a bit with the chassis... Progress is awfully slow at the moment...
P1190407-Kopie.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Since i have all of my body panels together, i wanted to have a look at the last possible "unknown" area.
The front grille. I never had a close look at it and wanted to make sure it's OK. Well it's not (of course :D).
Started like this. It seems like there are various versions of the grille around, but it apepars that this is a fulyl original one. the middle finis shorter, which also seems to be original.

P1190412-Kopie.jpg

Everything is just plugged together and then secured with four long and thin bolts on the back of the horizontal fins:
P1190417-Kopie.jpg

Onfortunately it's all just made out of cheap and thin sheet metal, so quite prone to bending:
P1190419-Kopie.jpg

Luckily the most delicate parts (the fins) are ok, and the rest is quite easy to fix or make on my own (i guess). the rest of the parts are just riveted together, so i probably give it a try and make my own grill.
Need to think about it and see if i'm able to find the horizontal U-shaped fins in the correct size.. :) guess i will send the available parts for rust and paint-stripping and then see what i can do :) seems to be a fun DIY project :)
P1190420-Kopie.jpg

So yesterday i got the box with parts back from the plating company. Everything got cleaned, zinc plated and yellow passivated. The colour is slightly different then last time (more redish). Probably due to the changed regulations for the mix of chemicals used for this procedure.
P1190422-Kopie.jpg

Still quite happy with the result. Took me a while to sort through all the parts, but mostly figoured it out by now :)
P1190424-Kopie.jpg

Started with the re-assembly of some parts. From this...
P1190426-Kopie.jpg

To this (Hose brackets)
P1190427-Kopie.jpg

From this...
P1190428-Kopie.jpg

To this (hood closing mechanism..)
P1190429-Kopie.jpg

This (the other part of the hood closing mechanism... (x2)
P1190430-Kopie.jpg

And then finally got all the parts ready to re-assemble the shifter with the new bushings and some bushing grease. Before...
P1190431-Kopie.jpg

After.
P1190432-Kopie.jpg

And because fun, i decided to test-fit the Kameari Z-Shift knob as well. Thiss will be a perfect match once it's in the car :)
P1190433-Kopie.jpg

Still have some parts to sort through and a lot to assemble. but need some pre-work on some parts first...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been super busy with dozens of small 240Z projects, but unfortunately it's two steps forward and one back at the moment so i haven't really completed anything noteworthy to post here.  Nevertheless i left some parts at the paint-stripping company today and should be able to pick them up early next year. And then suddenly i got a picture from my Panelbeater with a small update: The outer radius on the Tabco rear quarter panel has been corrected to give it the factory-like sharp edges (the tabco is a bit too soft) and the welds have been cleaned. Hope to have more updates soon. really working on a few ends at the moment :)
IMG-20171213-WA0002-Kopie.jpg

Nice work.  Of all the parts that I tried to re-plate using my D-I-Y plating set-up, this one was the most problematic (many heavily 'shaded' areas, along with a difficult-to-plate interior surface.  Your results illustrate one the important superiorities of commercial plating.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Namerow said:

Nice work.  Of all the parts that I tried to re-plate using my D-I-Y plating set-up, this one was the most problematic (many heavily 'shaded' areas, along with a difficult-to-plate interior surface.  Your results illustrate one the important superiorities of commercial plating.

Thanks mate. It ended up quite good at the plating company. however it has a few mostly optical flaws. lucky it's invisible once assembled :)