IGNORED

Video: 240z clutch problem. Need help!

Z is my first

It sounds like your throw out bearing or pressure plate may be bad. I'd guess the throw out bearing. Or, it could be that the pressure plate is not fully disengaging and the sound you hear is the pressure plate grinding against the clutch plate. Obviously not moving enough to allow you to shift easily. You may can adjust the slave cylinder to allow the transmission to drop into reverse easier, but I'm not sure it will make the sound go away. It's also strange that it gets louder when you shift it into gear. I'm not sure what's going on there. Search the board for slave cylinder adjustments. It's been documented many times. It's a really simple adjustment and will take about 5-10 minutes to do. You'll know if the sound goes away or not for no cost. If the adjustment doesn't help, then I think you're looking at a clutch, throw out bearing, and pressure plate replacement. Not that hard either if you can get the car high enough.

Clutch replacement sounds like the thing to do. Your clutch is not disengaging all of the way. the sound from the transmission may be caused by a bad pilot bushing, could be the throwout bearing. Reverse is a higher gear and may be harder to force with a slipping clutch.

Edit: just a thought a bad throwout bearing could cause both the grinding noise and the lack of clutch disengagement. still you need to look inside the bell housing.

Edited by grantf

The noise sounds like a bad throw-out bearing - and the noise showing up when it does, also leads to that conclusion.

Reverse is not synchronized - and your idle speed sounds a little high. When you have the car idling in Neutral and you let the clutch out - power is being transmitted to the transmission - even though none of the drive gears are engaged with the output shaft - so things are spinning in there. With no synchro in reverse - you need to put the transmission first into a synchronized gear {like 1st}, then move the shift lever to Reverse. This grinding in Reverse happens as the transmissions get a lot miles on them, and the synchronizers wear thin. When the transmissions are new the synchronizers are thicker and even in Neutral they will stop or greatly slow the gears when the clutch is pushed in. As I recall 1st and Reverse are on the same shaft in the transmission - so putting the transmission in 1st - First - will stop that shaft from spinning - then it should go into reverse without grinding. If it doesn't it's most likey time to rebuild that tranny.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I would say its a problem with your spigot bearing. The noise is coming from the inputshaft slipping in the spigot bearing, because the bearing is siezed. Only way to check is remove the tranny:(

Do you feel any vibrations through your clutch pedal. A bad throw-out bearing can sometimes vibrate the pedal through the hydraulic fluid.

I had a problem with another car that was standing a long time and the clutch disc was sticking to the input shaft. That way it would drag on the flywheel. I dont think thats your problem, because of the noise.

Must be frustrating stopping the engine to used reverse all the time. I know it was for me.

Good luck hunting it down.

Just remebered something else. Dont know if its possible in a z. He replaced the clutch disc back to front. It may a noise that would scare the hell out of you when you disengaged the clutch. But that was a english 1972 Hillman Hunter.

• 3 weeks later...