Cams with long duration but smaller lift? - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Cams with long duration but smaller lift?

Featured Replies

Howdy all.

I've a cam

300/300 duration

valve lift 0.453" inlet

valve lift 0.451 exhaust

Timing inlet open 43btdc closes 77abdc

exhaust open 77 bbdc

closes 43 atdc

Full lift 107 deg atdc inlet btdc exhaust

Am I right in thinking that the lift is a little low? Reading the specs it reads like it should be a nice 4-7000rpm grid, or have I missed something!?

Its going in a 2.4(+1mm) 40mm carbs, proper exhaust, modded e88 with large valves and skimmed etc.

It isn't that low. The cam that I have is 222/222 .460/.460 lift.

I am not sure what the lift is of a stock cam. Mine is a reground stock cam I think.

The maximum lift with the stock springs is .460 so it was probably made to get around that limitation. I have 290 duration .495 lift but using Isky springs.

Check the information on http://www.xenons30.com/cams.html. See Comp cams at bottom of page. They come close to what you have. One thing is certain, its not for normal street use. Duration is to long for that. Its more a performance street cam. The long duration and low Lift makes it suitable for standard springs and reduces valves float at high revs.

One thing Ive learned over time is when deciding between two cams (for street use) always go for the milder cam. I dont know what cam you are now using, but if its close to standard you will have to change your driving style with this cam.

Edited by EuroDat

  • Author

The cam is by a company in the UK, its a Piper bp285.

camspec.jpg

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.