IGNORED

Watanabe Rims

rjsang

I was thinking about putting some Watanabe R-Type rims on my 1973 240z. I was wondering if you guys had any experience with the rims to the type of car? I was thinking maybe 16x9.0. Does anyone know what the offset will be and how it might look like? Will it be necessary to put in some fender flares to compensate the offset? I'm sure someone out here's got some sweet photos of their Z with these type of rims..

Here a link to the ones I'm looking at:

http://otomoto.shop0...EF/14665711.gif

http://media.photobu...ls/WAts15x8.jpg

Bad links...

A bigger determining factor than the wheel width is the tire section width. That is what will hit the springs. What tires do you intend to run on this beast of a wheel?

The narrowest tire that I see in my copy of the T&RA book approved for a 16 x 9 wheel is a P245/45R16. That is a lot of tire for the front of a 240Z. You would need an offset of less than 4mm, and yes fender flairs are going to be needed. Even with that I expect that you would rub on the inner fender when you made sharp turns. It might work in the rear... but tires that wide will increase the high speed drag and reduce the car's top speed. (at least in theory.)

You should do a search of the site for tire sizes to see what others are running. I don't think I have seen a Z with tires wider than 225mm. P225/50R16 tires will fit on a 16 x 7 wheel.

Bad links...

A bigger determining factor than the wheel width is the tire section width. That is what will hit the springs. What tires do you intend to run on this beast of a wheel?

The narrowest tire that I see in my copy of the T&RA book approved for a 16 x 9 wheel is a P245/45R16. That is a lot of tire for the front of a 240Z. You would need an offset of less than 4mm, and yes fender flairs are going to be needed. Even with that I expect that you would rub on the inner fender when you made sharp turns. It might work in the rear... but tires that wide will increase the high speed drag and reduce the car's top speed. (at least in theory.)

You should do a search of the site for tire sizes to see what others are running. I don't think I have seen a Z with tires wider than 225mm. P225/50R16 tires will fit on a 16 x 7 wheel.

sorry about the links.. does this help any?

http://www.watanabe.com.au/page3.html

I'm new to all of this, and in attempt to answer your question, I was thinking of putting in some low profile tires with the rims.. With the tires, Techno Toy Tuning's coil over conversion kit and silvermine's brake kit...