IGNORED

Holy balls, I'm moving to Germany...and yes, the Z is comin' along!

BTF/PTM

Hi everyone,

I figure it's time to put out my "help" flags, I'm moving to Germany in about five weeks and once I'm settled in I'll be shipping the Z out to live with me. I need to learn the ins n outs of importing a vintage car, so anyone out there who knows the gig who's willing to school me is welcome. PM me and I'll give you an email address, or just post here. Thanks, everyone!

personally I do not have any experience with this, but I work in an international company, and a German colleague just bought a Ford Torino GT that he is taking back to germany with him in September, I'll try to get some info for you as to who to contact or what to arrange for shipping. Where in germany are you moving to? Remember, Germany is worse than california with car inspections! Good luck

• 1 month later...

The car inspection is no joke. Not sure if you already have it there or not, but it will have to pass a noise test. IIRC it needs to be less than 92 dB. You should also make sure that all safety equipment is working properly (i.e. seatbelts, lights, brakes). I know they also have a limit on how far out wheels can be from the fender, i don't remember what it is, though i think it may be that they can't protrude at all. Good luck and have a blast driving over there!

Hope your not planning to use it as a regular drive in the winter. The winter is hard on Z's with all the salt they use here.

I used a transport company to import mine. Had to disconect the side indicators and change the tyres. They checked the wheel base, allowed standard +25mm. The mag wheels where just on 20mm. Im in the netherlands which also has EC rules, but they are probably a little different in Germany.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've survived my first five weeks as an expat, and have gotten the first bits of information as to whether bring the Z here is worth the trouble. My Z is virtually stock, having only an R200 and an L28 as its modifications, so from what I hear since those are still factory components, they create zero problems. That said, I'm hoping to find specifics on whether I can have subframe connectors installed on the car prior to the trip here and still pass inspection. Nothing has been done yet, so I'm hoping for good news.

I know it's delayed, but thanks for the info you've provided thus far. Here's to thinking positive thoughts, Germany needs another Z! =)

And no, I definitely do not plan on using the car as any type of daily drive, let alone a winter driver, it will be a once-in-a-while car to take out and have fun on nice weekends. If I can get it here and legal, that is.

Thanks again!

P.S. - I'm in Griesheim, just outside of Frankfurt.