IGNORED

Need some advice on my new RHD project.

240crazee

Hey everyone, I am new to the site but have been a long time follower of your blogs and threads. I recently acquired a RHD fairlady z from Japan. I don't know much about the cars history besides that it was stored indoors for a long time in a temperature controlled storage and was owned by a marine in the 80s. Anyways, I was just wondering if there is anything I should worry about when trying to run this car again after 20+ years of sitting?

I have searched the forum and gotten the engine to run from a gas can with a new fuel pump, but was wondering how bad the gas lines will be since there was still gas in the car? Can I just clean those out and replace necessary hoses? Or will I need to buy new ones altogether? And are there any other Nissan specific things I should worry about when trying to drive this eventually? (such as brake or clutch common issues after sitting)

On another note,the gas tank had about 4 inches of solid sludge and I have began cleaning it out with chemicals and stuff but still have a small layer on the bottom. How do I get this out also? OR does a member have a tank that they can sell?

I am up for any suggestions and thanks for all your previous and ongoing help! I posted some pics of my new project so people can know what I am talking about. Any info or history a more experienced member would have on my particular car is greatly appreciated.

I would replace all the rubber fuel lines, blow out the hard fuel lines with compressed air and treat the gas tank professionally (just to be safe).

Also, you won't be able to use a gasoline tank from another member unless it is specific to the Fairlady. When I dropped my gas tank, I compared it with several versions of the US market 240Z gas tanks, and there were several nipples that were different. You could modify a US tank to work, but I doubt that would be any more cost effective than boiling your current tank.

Your car seems to have quite low mileage, so honestly, I wouldn't bother with boiling the car right now unless you want to a Concours example. It is your car in the end, but if I were you I would buff out the paint with compound, treat the few rust spots, and DRIVE it. My Fairlady 240Z-L sat since 1992, I performed all of the above and it is daily drivable today. The paint was faded beyond belief, but I got a good shine out of it, just look at my attachments! It builds character! I do plan to restore it one day, but seeing as Fairlady's with original paint are a rare commodity, I do not mind waiting.

Here is a laundry list of what I would focus on:

1. Boil Gasoline Tank

2. Replace Fuel Lines (hard and rubber)

3. Replace Fuel Filter (possibly pump as well)

4. Replace Rubber Bushings (all around)

5. Fluid changes (oil, transmission, differential)

6. Check Brake Master Cylinder (most likely is no good)

7. Check Clutch Master Cylinder and Slave Cylinder (most likely are no good)

8. Check Vacuum lines

9. Go through engine (timing, spark plugs, etc.)

10. Check exhaust piping for leaks

11. Pull the brake booster and check for reaction disk (search for this common problem)

12. Heater hoses (Engine Bay, and Inside: Trust me, you'll want to do this if you want to keep your pristine floors)

Anyone feel free to add.

As I mentioned to you through e-mail, keep your rally clock and oscillator, save the funds and do it right. Same goes for paint. The vehicle sat for 20 years, it is ready to breathe! I wouldn't mind going up to Sacramento to lend you a hand, but unfortunately that is quite far for me.

post-20758-14150819634448_thumb.jpg

post-20758-14150819634889_thumb.jpg

post-20758-14150819634982_thumb.jpg

post-20758-1415081963521_thumb.jpg

post-20758-14150819635301_thumb.jpg

Edited by spitz17

Okay I will probably just save up and spend the $300 at a radiator shop and do it right. I have been messing with the gas tank and can't get it completely clean still so I have no choice really. Thank you for all your help and I will let you guys know the moment I get her back up and going.

And Montezuma you are right .. I should just get used to this beauty breaking my wallet :D

I agree wit spitz17, keep your rally clock and oscillator. You have a rare and mostly complete early Fairlady Z-L. Don't start selling off the original unique bits, or you will kill the value of the car and its originality. Finding an early 1970 Fairlady with its original L20a engine in the US is very rare. Since the car has been sitting so long hopefully you have the time/funds to slowly bring it back to life and not looking to make it a daily driver right away or something like that. Hopefully you did some prep on the engine before you just fired it up after sitting. I'd be interested in hearing more about how you found the car.

-Mike

Glenn made a good list. On a car that's been sitting that long, assume all rubber is dried out. This means hoses, bushings, and hydraulic seals (brake & clutch master, clutch slave, wheel cylinders, calipers) need to be replaced/rebuilt.

UPDATE: Sent the gas tank in and it should be done next week all refreshed and lined.

And okay guys you've convinced me enough. Since The rally clock works, its staying in the car, just took off my ebay listing. I will be selling my triple webers instead and keeping this car stock.

I have new masters and slave for clutch and brakes. got new rubber brake hoses because one was cracked and had a hole, figured should replace all. Going to go to Napa and get any rubber fuel lines by gas tank as those were all bad upon furthur inspection. I freshened up the engine before I attempted to turn it over, and I still ran it through a filter even though it was off a gas can. I didn't think to check the caliper seals but that should be a cheap and easy thing to replace too while I'm overhauling the brakes I might as well.

In response to Mike B, this car would never be my daily driver. I have beater cars to take the abuse of mileage :D This would be more like an ongoing restoration project that is hopefully driveable on the weekends or to shows/events.