IGNORED

Off To The Body Shop

mmagnus

No problem. I am happy to share the name of the shop I am using. The body shop is called Vornhagen Auto Body and they are in Brentwood here in the east bay. The owner is Kevin Vorhagen and he very well known in the bay are for his custom work including painting race cars and dragsters. He is also giving me a bit of a break on the price as his sister-in-law is one of my employees and also a friend of my wifes. Kevin has a great reputation and does work for all of the major dealerships in the area. (Thats why it took me a year to see him). If felt it was worth the wait knowing he will do a great job. He is also a really great guy to talk to. If you want to contact him you can call

him at 925 516-1969, keep in mind you are going to be on a 1 year lead time unless he gets some openings.

Good luck

Mark

I'm in the process of tearing down the body of my 260 although I know there is a fair amount of rust in that. Well done on yours though, it's looking good. I look forward to seeing more photo's as the project progresses.

Did you have the interior stripped? I can't make it out from the photo. What about underneath? Excuse the questions but I'm trying to formulate a strategy for my own project.

Nigel, Yes the interior was removed from the car with the exception of the dash, the entire interior was removed. When sand blasting the car its almost a must. If you dont, the interior would be completely ruined. Its a very messy process.

Once I got on the waiting list for the body shop, I started on the tear down. First thing I did was remove the drive train all the way back to the rear end. The I removed everything else from the engine bay leaving a couple hard brake lines from the rear that I didnt want to disconnect and had him sandblast also.

Then I removed the windows, frames, door mechanisims, etc and all of the body components including lights and molding. Exhaust and fuel tank was removed. Fuel tank was sent to radiator shop and fully restored inside and out and new sending unit installed.

Last was the interior. All interior panels, seats, consol and carpeting removed. This gives you an opportunity to find some surprise rust. I found some pretty nasty stuff under the spare wheel. Fortunatly its repairable because you cant buy that part.

I will detail and paint the underneath when the car comes back before I install the new drive shaft, rearend, etc.

Hope this helps. I will continue posting pictures to my gallery to show progress. There are more photos from yesterday after sealer was applied.

Mark

Other than the door jams and sills, the only interior part that was blasted was under the spar wheel do to rust. This way it allowed me to see the extent of the damage and make the necessary repairs. I decided that removing the paint from the rest of the interior was not worth it and would be better to leave the old paint. I decided to line the interior with 3/8 inch sound dedening material under the carpets and all of the interior panels.

Mark