IGNORED

Questions For Selling My Z

Powderkeg

Gentleman:

Unfortunately I need to sell my 76 280 Z. It's been mostly dormant the past year as other things have taken a priority.

It's a 76 280Z with SU roundtops from a 72 240Z. It has a 5-speed transmission from a 77 280Z rebuilt in 2004.

It runs well with the exception that it stalls every now and again ( I gave up try to diagnose the problem as I had little time to deal with the car). The fuel tank has been treated with Por-15 and all the fuel hoses have been replaced. It used to be a daily driver and has been kept mostly stock.

The big concern in selling this thing is the SU's that have replaced the Fuel injection. It obviously won't pass smog as is and I'm not inclined to return it to fuel injection. Basically this is a running project/parts car.

I live in Northern California and my county doesn't have the biannual smog laws (Yet).

How would you recommend I go about selling the car?

Thanks all!

Dave Ruiz

Gentleman:

Unfortunately I need to sell my 76 280 Z. It's been mostly dormant the past year as other things have taken a priority.

It's a 76 280Z with SU roundtops from a 72 240Z. It has a 5-speed transmission from a 77 280Z rebuilt in 2004.

It runs well with the exception that it stalls every now and again ( I gave up try to diagnose the problem as I had little time to deal with the car). The fuel tank has been treated with Por-15 and all the fuel hoses have been replaced. It used to be a daily driver and has been kept mostly stock.

The big concern in selling this thing is the SU's that have replaced the Fuel injection. It obviously won't pass smog as is and I'm not inclined to return it to fuel injection. Basically this is a running project/parts car.

I live in Northern California and my county doesn't have the biannual smog laws (Yet).

How would you recommend I go about selling the car?

Thanks all!

Dave Ruiz

Technically speaking, the modifications you've made are illegal. You will not be able to sell it to someone in a smog-enforced county without getting it to pass a smog test first (meaning you'd have to return it to stock). Selling it to a non smog-enforced county may be easier...

NorCal? That car is smog-exempt in most—if not all—of Oregon. Much of the rest of the nation as well. I'd start with an ad on datsunclassifieds.com, and maybe on the Medford, OR craigslist. Just note in the ad that it is not currently smog-able.

If I may, I would say nothing about the smog situation in the writen advertisements, thats looking for trouble from over zealous bureaucrats and law enforcement types. Just play stupid and mention it to prospective buyers in passing. My two cents.

Just say that it won't currently pass smog. No need to explain why, or that you've tossed the original parts. No guilt is implied that way. But someone who needs a smog-compliant car won't waste everyone's time asking questions on it.

FAIW, Federal law prohibits the removal of (or tampering with) emissions equipment, and most of that would have come off with the EFI sytem. Here in VA, it's up to the inspection stations to know what is and isn't standard equipment on these cars, and very few inspectors know Z's that well. However, if they do, they will fail the car over the emissions equipment violation. This is in a state with no emissions testing. As long as you're not blowing smoke out the tailpipe, the content of your exhaust is of no concern to the inspectors.

Of course here in VA, we also have the option of signing a statement that our antique cars meet state safety standards, rather than submitting to annual inspections, thereby circumventing the non-OEM emissions configuration issue. Anyway, I'm just pointing out that it can be a bit more complex -- usually isn't, but CAN be.

BTW, if I recall correctly, NV is an emissions testing state, but an exemption is carved out for cars older than 25 years.

Edited by FastWoman