IGNORED

wheels

Guest 71-240Z

Guest 71-240Z

I have a 71 240z and would like to buy some 16 to 17 inch after market wheels. Does anyone know of any wheel companies that sell these sizes for 240's besides panasport? Thanks

• 1 year later...

I think 15's or 16's will be the easiest to find. You should find a fairly decent selection of wheels in those sizes. 17's are probably a bit much and you'll have a really hard time finding them to fit a Z. Simply because they won't have any four lug bolt patterns to fit. It isn't so much the offset that is the problem most of the time, it's the bolt pattern. Not only that but I hope you realize how much a 17 inch wheel and tire will cost over a decent set of 15 inch, you are talking a large price difference.

Not only that but I think 17 inch wheels and tires are going to be really hard to fit without a lot of rubbing problems. I believe you will run into suspension as well as fender clearance problems.

• 4 months later...

you shouldn't have a problem fitting 17" wheels, but the width would be the main consideration. I still have the stock wheels and tire size on my '72, which is about 24" tall, on a 14" wheel. finding a tire with the right low profile shouldn't be a problem as most of those are rubber bands anyway. By the way, I saw some 8 spoke 16" wheels advertised a while back, but can't remember the manufacturer. Can anybody help direct me?

Devin aka 72240Z

email:64bowtie@quik.com

I have been shopping extensively for wheels for my 74Z. I wanted 15's or 16's as well. The selection isn't really all that big.

Your basically looking at SUV type rims because Z's are rearwheel drive and zero offset. The 4 bolt pattern, like 2many mentioned is the killer. There is a very limited market for our cars in the 4 on 4.5, 0 offset wheels.

I talked with Centerline a while back and was told any of their billet style wheels will work, they are basically custom built and the autodrag style will fit as well. Your into a $200+ wheel at each corner for these.

WWW.Eaglewheels.com has one or two styles available that fit and Unique wheel has one similar to American racing outlaw II series in 14 x 7 only. American racing can't help you so don't even waste your time with them. They told me to look at a custom made wheel.

If you get Motorsports parts catalog there are a few mfgrs in there (centerline and panasport are 2 of 4 mfgrs). Other than custom wheels thats about it as far as I could find for RWD wheels on the Z. I've made 4 trips to two different tire stores and spent 30+ hours on the net looking at wheels and this is all I could find.

There's a thread called 4 x 114.3 about the datsun 510 and all the wheels that will fit that car. The 510 has the same bolt pattern as the Z. There's a web site in this thread with wheels that would fit this bolt pattern but how many are available and if you like them is up for debate.

The other solution is to go to an adaptor that changes your offset and bolt spacing but not number of lugs. You would still be in a 4 bolt pattern but with the spacer you can look at front wheel drive or positive offset wheels. I have asked for help via threads on this site in regard to adaptors and peoples experience but thus far haven't gotten much response. I don't know what to tell you about adaptors except there available. I've heard there perfectly safe and run on 10 second cars, duelly's and anything in between and I've talked with a tire store that won't even work on a car with an adaptor.

If you can find something please post it! This has been a really frustrating exercise. I'm not sure if there is a new aftermarket wheel out there for $150.00 or less in RWD offset. :ermm:

Anyway, sorry for all the words but hopefully it will help in your search.

BTW, this site will help you with various wheel diameters, widths and aspect ratios (ie 70, 60, 50 series) and what combinations will match a stock wheel. www.c5-corvette.com/tirecalc.htm

I have found a hub adaptor on Kitcarz.com for $149 a pair. However i believe that this company is going out of buisnes. I too am frustrated with not being able to buy a good set of wheels for a reasonable price. I've seen many early Z's with nice mordern looking rims but i can never seem to find any myself. It would be nice if we could compile a list of available companys out there that make wheels for the early Z. I myself am looking for a set of 16X7 wheels but i can only find the Panasports and one or two others that MSA has. I was at the MSA show this year and saw rims galore!, i should of goten out my note book and started asking questions but i was too busy ogleing all the Z's and forgot all about it.:stupid:

you could go japanese as the 1985-1987 Corolla GTS and 240sx share the same bolt pattern as the 240Z but with different offsets..most of the aftermarket wheels for these cars have very big lips and are 10mm to 0mm offsets ...mind you these wheels are very expensive...

here are some

hiro_wheel_3.jpghiro_wheels.jpgh_southern.jpgh_ssrmesh1.jpg