IGNORED

Looking for a '75-'76 gas tank

SportBikeMike

Its basically the last step for my 240Z turbo project. The new motor and transmission and everything are in the car, but since its fuel-injected, I can't use the stock 240Z gas tank. I need a gas tank from a 1975 or 1976 280Z (the 1977 and 1978 tanks are shaped different and won't fit). A 280ZX tank also won't fit.

I actually bought one back in February on Ebay. Or so I thought. He had it listed as a '76 280Z tank in the ad. Well, when my mechanic pulled it out to install on the car, he found out its actually a 240Z gas tank, like the one I already have, that won't work. So I have two of them!:stupid:

If anyone has a '75 or '76 tank available they want to get rid of.....please let me know. I want it ASAP! The car has been in the shop for six months, and to say I'm anxious to get her back, is an understatement!

I'm not 100% sure myself....I think it has something to do with the fuel pump for the 280ZXT motor can't be used with the 240Z gas tank. I'll run this past the mechanic tomorrow......surely there has to be a way to somehow make it work. I hope anyway. I'm tired of trying to find one of these things.

I now have a '75 tank in my late 260. The '74 and '75/'76 tanks are the same other than the baffle can around the fuel pickup and the later tank has larger nipples for the supply and return lines. The tank drain is moved a bit as well. Compared to a 240 tank, the small vent line is located in a different place. The 260 and early 280 tanks have the small vent nipple on the back side under the large fill vent. On the 240 tanks, the small vent in at the left end of the tank. I think I read somewhere that the '74 - '76 tanks are larger than the '70 - '73 tanks as well, but I'm not sure where they gain the volume.

Actually, the 78 tank wouldn't fit unless the OP does extensive modifications to the spare tire well. The 77 & 78 didn't have the deep well like the 70-76 cars. The tanks for 77-78 cars are too big for an unmodified car.

Andrew, I saw that one on there but I did some research on this site, and basically read the same thing that Steve said: the '77 and '78 tanks won't fit without alot of modifications.

I'm currently bidding on a '76 tank thats on there (the seller is a member here).

• 8 months later...