IGNORED

Z keys

carguyinok

MSA's catalog may show those original keys with the locks, but if you buy a lock from them you will get the replacement newer style Square (rectangle) keys. BTDT :(

Needed the ignition lock anyway

I don't think anyone has the original style blanks (NLA from everything I've heard), but if you find some, let us know! More folks than just you and I are interested!

Carl

The head of "original" keys is oval in shape, and has two holes in it (on opposite sides if a "Z" that is stamped into the metal. Kinda hard (for me) to describe to someone who hasn't seen one.

On eBay USA a guy from Autstalia often offers key blanks, but they are not made by Nissan and are not the same shape (head wise) as original keys.

Let us know next time you see the ones you are refering to. Please!

My spare set for my 70 240 are Taylor Blanks with a circle XI. On the opposite side are the words "fits Mazda" This is for the ignition lock, single side cut. I'll check my original set when I get home this evening. This blank serves fine as a spare or everyday use key.

Originally posted by carguyinok

Well, here is my key.:sleepy: It has been worn out as you can see. The top hole is now about twice the size.

Yep, that key looks substantially like mine. That is the style I've been trying to find a blank of. Let us know if you find a source, Please!

Thanks, Carl

PS: Some of the very early (to USA anyway) cars had separate keys for the hatch and ignition, and the keys were cut only on one side. Yours (and mine) are the slightly later type cut on both sides with a single key operating all locks.

Right, Carl.

Both of my keys; ignition and doors are cut on only one side. The door key is an original with the code on it and looks like the image, except it is a rounded rectangle, with the 2 cutouts forming an N for Nissan or a Z if you want to believe that. I believe the same style keys were on my 2000 roadster and my 510 oh so long ago.

Here are pictures of my key for my 1971. I believe the head used to be black?

This key opens the boot and doors. I have another key which starts the car. Is this right or do you think my ignition barrel thingy has been changed at some stage?

post-1243-14150792387554_thumb.gif

Alfadog:

Your key (pictured) does liook like an original key, however it is *slightly* different than mine. I'll try to explain, since I don't have a digi-camera to post a pic. First, the overall shape and markings of OUR keys (YOURS and MINE) are the same.

If you observe your photo, you'll see that the 2 grooves that run the length of the key shaft are on the right side of the shaft and kinda in the center of the shaft as the key is shown.

If my key is in the EXACT same position as yours(Key Head UP and shaft pointing DOWN), the 2 grooves that run the length of MY key are on the LEFT side and kinda in the center.

Another thing different is that my key operates both doors, the hatch, AND the Ignition.

:classic: