IGNORED

my 240k coupe (possible for sale thread)

swarf.

hi guys.

as some of you may know, i've been searching for a coupe for a while, and so when one came up interstate on gumtree i called the man and talked to him about it.

he told me that it didn't have much rust at all, interiors was immaculate, ran fine etc etc etc.

all sounded well so i (stupidly) bought the car unseen.

it took about two months for the car to get to me in adelaide from him in cairns for a number of reasons, but once it got here i was very disappointed to say the least.

the car has a LOT more rust than he told me about. and the rust that he did tell me about is a lot worse than he made it out to sound.

the interior is not 'immaculate'. it's nice but not complete and definitely not perfect.

i'll upload some photos in the next few days as i am still quite angry and have just put the car under a cover and don't want to look at it.

i'm still deciding whether or not it's going to be too much of a project for me.

i'm going to wait until the end of the month before i make up my mind, at which point i will advertise it for what i've spent on it so far.

That sucks.

Just goes to show you can't really trust some people. Did you pay the seller with Paypal?

If you did, you can open up a claim ( dispute ) and Paypal will investigate and potentially refund your

money. Maybe the car can be a LLLOOONNNGG term project, take your time with it to get it

to the standard you want.

Good Luck either way!

Hi Swarf,

stick up some pics, we would all love to see it.. at the end of the day, it is still a 240k coupe... and it deserves to live another day!

as long as the chassis is straight and rust free.. the rest is fixable :)

I have bought 240k's in the past, thinking they were pretty average.. but once you get down to them all have been pretty solid (including my parts car RIP).. even the last car i bought which looked immaculate.. underneath still had all the same rust areas that i bought to bypass on the car i was building.

the real problem is of course, finding skilled old school panel beaters, and being able to afford them :D

Sounds similar to what I did with my first coupé. I was a bit too trigger happy and over paid for a rust bicker. I was lucky to get rid of it in the end for a good price.

All you can do it's port up some pics and get some advice. Good luck with it :)

sorry mate.. that actually looks quite bad.. Looks like it has been in a field for the past 20 years.. even my 2nd 240k that did sit in a field for 10 years wasn't anywhere near that bad

given enough work and luck in finding replacement parts, i am sure it could be saved.. but i am sure you could find a much better example more cheaply sadly

tough decision (especially as i assume you paid a bit for it)

Unfortunate what some people will do.

Depending on what you have in it vs what you can recover by selling, might be worth considering keeping it for parts.

Some of that trim especially bright work around front and rear is both hard to find in decent shape and expensive when you do.

That all looks pretty reasonable, certainly not hard to reform and polish. Bumpers look to be pretty decent, good enough to refinish. Most of the window surrounds and all the side window trim is there and pretty good.

I'd try for another hardtop in better shape, even if missing trim bits & with rough interior, before selling this one.

Whoa, thats pretty bad.

The interior is ok and can definately be used, as with the trim. The body on the other hand....

You have to be VERY dedicated to save this one. If you were going to get a body shop to repair

it, it will cost you a fortune. If you were planning on doing it yourself, you'll have your work cut

out for you. I suppose its up to you, but I would strip this car of everything and keep for spare

parts and look for a better shell as a base.