IGNORED

dash lights not working

bhermes

I am on the back end of a major electrical problem with my 76 280 and with all of the help from this forum hopefully the problem is going to be resolved. So I am moving on to a not so series electrical problem. My dash lights do not seem to work. The map light, if that is what it is called seems to be the only light that does work.

Any suggestions.

Sorry to those who helped with the other issue but just looking for a place to start on this one.

Thanks.

I am betting the combo switch or connection from it. The little contacts do tend to corrode. try putting a meter on the green with blue stripe. If you have power there and no power to green with white it's most likely the combo switch. if you have power to both it could be your dimmer which operates off ground I think.

I am betting the combo switch or connection from it. The little contacts do tend to corrode. try putting a meter on the green with blue stripe. If you have power there and no power to green with white it's most likely the combo switch. if you have power to both it could be your dimmer which operates off ground I think.

If the running lights are fine, then it is unlikely the combo switch. The gauge lights and running lights both come off of the green/white wire from the combo switch. It has to be downstream of that, either at a connector, the rheostat or the ground coming off of the rheostat.

If the running lights are fine, then it is unlikely the combo switch. The gauge lights and running lights both come off of the green/white wire from the combo switch. It has to be downstream of that, either at a connector, the rheostat or the ground coming off of the rheostat.

This is true, the running lights are powered from green with white (I missed that fact). I agree the dimmer may be the culpret. Try bypassing it to ground and see if any lights come on.

check the 2 wires going to the rheostat for power. one should have one should not when pulled off. if that is the case the rheostat is bad. I have LED dash lights so I just butted both wires together. you can either do this or buy a new rheostat. if neither wire is getting power than you will have to use the wiring diagram to trace back the problem