still no charge from alt. - Page 2 - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

still no charge from alt.

Featured Replies

  • Author

"related were all getting hot as was the charge back"A" whore and red wire." You may have guessed, whore= white. Imma mess. Freud made my phone.

  • Author

Carquest alternator, no out put.

Hey bud, pm me your phone number and I can help you. Thats what I do for a living is work at a starting and charging specialist. I have 2 73 240's, i've never jumped or touched the regulator plugs, just left them plugged in. I'd be glad to text you pictures and walk you through what is wrong. S is battery sense, it shouldn't have a diode, it needs to read constant battery voltage to know what to put out. The other terminal is either "lamp" or "trio", this would be the Top terminal on that alt you have a T plug, the top part of the T is the lamp trio and should have voltage only when you turn the ignition on. If you don't put a diode in the car will not turn off with the key because the alt will backfeed voltage to the ignition. The S terminal needs battery voltage or it won't kick on and charge. Hopefully this helps, that bird nest you've got going on there looks fun :) we deal with stuff like that all day long.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

thanks mike, where did you post the special help quinn post?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author
Its right on here. Did you get it working?

so, the MotoManmike saved me from aternator peril, on the 79 280zx alternator the L and the S terminals are swapped thus producing no alt output/atlernator death or a battery drain of arround 9 volts in my particular case. thanks so much so checking on that diagram and helping me out bro. i was swconds away from zapping another alternator and spending another month scratching my head and feeling like a rAtard.

Glad you got it fixed. Not sure what your comments mean though, since all of the internally regulated alternators from 78 to 83 are wired the same way, and the FSM diagram is correct I believe.

Just posting, with pictures, for any future alt swappers. The top of the T is S and up and down part is L. Of course, in the FSM drawings, the T is upside down, maybe that's the issue.

I copied two, from 78 and 79, just to show what I mean.

post-20342-14150818144542_thumb.jpg

post-20342-14150818144753_thumb.jpg

I love solving charging and starting issues, it will never get old to me. I'm always still amazed though by the guys that use a test light for drains. I used to, now i've got an amp clamp that goes over the battery terminal but alot of the newer vehicles have a certain amount of mil-amp draw normally so its hard to do with a test light anymore. I'm glad you are back riding. Good luck with getting all the other bugs worked out, these cars are awesome, keep it alive for us.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.