IGNORED

New Kid on the Block

ROMBORAMA

Hello guys,

just joined this site so i could get some help from u people out there. Have a 240z that i need to work on but little money to do it, so hoping u guys could offer some effective (but relatively cheap) ways to work on it. Im a big noobie at this stuff so all the help would be appreciated. For instance: the car runs fine and everything, but it always smells like its running rich all thetime. I checked to see if there was a fuel leak but that wasnt it. Do i need to tune the carbs up probably? what's the easiest way to do so?

You said it 'smells' like... If it smells, inside the car, you have a cabin leak in the back. Quite common. The exhaust is getting back into the cabin from something that is not sealed back there. Check all the grommets around hoses passing through the body shell and check the seals around your tail lights.

If it really IS running rich, your spark plugs will be black and sooty. So check your plugs before you go tearing into your carbs. I'll bet you have the cabin leak issue if you think that smell...ohww that smell!

Welcome to the website.

Remember to spend a LOT of time just browsing around and reading things, because most of your questions will get answered that way. If you can, print the stuff that interests you (I use a notes database called "JotNotes") and get yourself a copy of the FSM (Factory Service Manual), the correct wiring diagram, and Wick Humble's book on 240Z, as you'll need to refer to them often or eventually.

We like to see good grammar, spelling and punctuation, which you seem to be capable of, so that's good. :)

Don't be afraid to collect photos of things. You get ample storage for photos & files here.

Edited by TomoHawk

Adrian -

The search engine will be your best bet for research - all of us started there and all of us use it for a first go to when we are working on our cars. There are some very knowledgeable people on this site and as stated above, most of your questions have already been addressed, and resolved on previous threads.............so dig in and let the fun begin!

Dealing with your richness - your first step will be to make sure you carbs are set for the correct air/fuel ratio and are balance with the same air intake..........there is a tool you will need to purchase to assist with that balance. The air/fuel ratio can be done by several methods - again discussed in detail on 100's of past threads.............plug reading, exhaust popping, backfiring, just to name a few. The best way to adjust your carbs is to either have it dyno'd for A/F with an exhaust sniffer or to put a A/F meter in the car. Other than that it is really a little guessing using the tell tale signs mentioned above.

Honestly you need to make sure your car is properly tuned first before working, setting, and balancing the carbs...........

Keep us posted on your progress and enjoy the ride!