IGNORED

New Poster, Looking at buying a Z.

caltanian

Hello all.

I'm currently in the process of hunting down a pre smog 240/260z for a project/fun car.

I'm studying auto tech, and have acces to a fully equipped shop, as well as a machine and tranny shop. Makes this whole thing a lot easier for me. I currently have a new, and reliable vehicle, so this won't be the only one in my life. The Z will fulfill my wish to have a fun project vehicle.

There are two out in my area that have sparked my interest.

One is a white 71 240, PO has put a 280 hood, and 280 wheels on it, states only one rust area on a rocker pannel. Looks to be in good shape, just needs some interior parts and work. Also has a L28 motor, and a 5 speed in it already. I'll be buying another engine and tranny as well, so this is nice, but not a deal sealer.

The other one i have to go look at states no rust, New paint, new weather stripping, the likes on a 260z. Says it has eibach lowering springs and struts, needs a little timing and carb tuning, as well as a few interior pieces.

I'm looking at them both this weekend.

I know to pull up carpets if there are any, and look for rust, battery tray as well is a spot to inspect.

Any other things that I need to be looking for?

Thanks all, and looking forward to becoming part of this community.

Stick your hand inside the front fender and feel the sheet metal at the top of the rocker. Crap gets stuck in here and trapped with water draining from the cowl and I will bet you find rust. Once it starts it spreads like wild fire down the rocker. Ask me how I know on my super low mileage, "no rust" 73. 9 times out of 10 no rust on these cars means no rust holes larger than a dime which you can see. So mine is now on the rotisserie for the full meal deal along with body cavity sealant.

I will check there for sure. Body condition is much more important to me than mechanical issues. I can do all that stuff easily, body not as much.

From my reading, there is not a huge difference between the three shy of engine and transmission. The 260 does appear to be in better shape. Im not afraid to walk away from them, and know what im willing to spend. Cant say im not excited at the prospect of such a great old car coming into my life.

Take a piece of felt and a good magnet when you look at the cars. Check the frame rails, underside of the floopans (even if the undercoating looks good, there can still be rust). Run the magnet over the felt at the doglegs and underside of the hatch (both the lid and its mating area). While you have the hatch open, pull the spare tire out, and check for rust in there...

IMO, there is no reason to discount the 260. I think that due to it's limited production run, there's a level of uniqueness to an already unique line of car. If you search around, you'll find that many/most of the engine parts are available/compatible with the 240...

I am in the bay. Just looked at the 71. Its a project, which is what i am looking for. Few parts from other 240s, but looks pretty good. Found the expected rust in the dog leg ahead of the rear wheel on drivers side. Needs a few interior parts, and a hinge needs replacing (rear hatch) Seller has a mountain of spare parts. Like i said, has that one spot of rust, and very little else. New paint would work wonders.

Im going to look at the 260 tomorrow, but this is a serious prospect. No matter the condition of a lot of the mechanical stuff, i plan to go through and rebuild and better most parts.

Fun car. And what seems to be the begining of a hell of a project.

Don't make a decision without posting detailed pics of the car(s) you are interested in. We will look at the pics and give you a much better idea of what it's worth.

You are right. The body is WAY more important than the mechanicals. A rusty Z will cost you FAR more than a clean Z no matter how cheap it is when you buy it.

Photos i can take, but both cars are a ways away from me, so not so easy to do.

The one i saw as i said, has the one rust spot on the rocker pannel, and one under the rear hatch (small, like a bb), but from crawling all over the rest of it, and under it, there was no other rust to be found. None in the wheel wells, none on the floors, none in the spare.

I'm not looking for perfect, and im not looking for some cherry ride to get to drive and sometimes tinker with. Its a project for while im in school.

The other one that piqued my interest is all painted up, claims no rust, but has been lowered, and that scares me..