Tail Light Gasket Question - Body & Paint - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Tail Light Gasket Question

Featured Replies

I bought some new tail light gaskets for my car-just in case I ever get it back from the body shop. When I took the old gaskets off (I don't think they'd been removed in 40 years) it looked like there was a thin strip of adhesive between the gasket and the body, maybe double sided tape?

For those of you that have done this, did you apply any sealant to ensure a good seal?

I used the yellow 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive. Some call it elephant snot. :)

Get a good seal completely around the gasket, this is where exhaust fumes will creep in from bad or no seal.

Bonzi Lon

  • Author

Thanks for the replies. I have some of the black adhesive at home.

I did not use any adhesive, perhaps I should have.... :ermm:

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
I never used sealant either. The compression of the rubber seemed to be fine.

Does the FSM instruct to use sealant?

That is what I thought, and if I ever had to make a repair (as I have after being rear ended) the gasket would not be ruined. But I do not know how the factory installed them.

I removed my gaskets on my 78 not long ago they came off nice and i will reuse them.

They had lots of glue at the top less on side and bottom. This car has never been apart before.

Maybe we need more details.

The Jan 71 240z that I took the tail lights off most likely had them off in the past so the glue could have been removed or there was none used in jan 71.

More work for the spring. Thanks... just one Q:

Does the sealant go between the seal and the plastic light housing or between the seal and the body?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.