IGNORED

Temporary Fuel Pump Fix question

Milenko2121

is there anything wrong with hooking direct power up to my fuel pump and running it off a toggle switch?

basically i toggle it on when i start the car, and turn it off when i turn the car off.

I plan to also hook up a light to it to signal that it's on so I never forget.

this fix is only so I can drive to get parts while I figure out my electrical issue.

You have a 77? If so have you peeked at under the AFM cover? there is a fuel kill switch in it. Probably not you're issue but worth a look see. Have you looked up the Atlantic z car web site and clicked on the Fuel injection section? It helped me out quite a bit solving my fuel consumption issue. If you got in an accedent there would be a consequence to you're solution, but I am sure you are aware of that risk.

You have a 77? If so have you peeked at under the AFM cover? there is a fuel kill switch in it. Probably not you're issue but worth a look see. Have you looked up the Atlantic z car web site and clicked on the Fuel injection section? It helped me out quite a bit solving my fuel consumption issue. If you got in an accedent there would be a consequence to you're solution, but I am sure you are aware of that risk.

Yes, a '77, and I haven't opened up my AFM yet. It looked as though someone glued it together. It was replaced as far as I'm concerned.

How does the fuel kill switch work in the AFM exactly?

And my fuel consumption isn't a problem. It's a whole weird electrical issue that I'm working on(I'd rather not buy a new harness)

Also, yes I'm aware of the dangers of getting in an accident with it running like that, that's why it's only temporary(like 3 days), but I wanted to ask if there'd be any performance problems to running it like that for a few days.

Edited by Milenko2121

I am not sure what electrical issues you have, I am sure you know to look through systematically. The cover should be held on with a silicone sealant. If it looks sloppy than that would be an indication that it has been tampered with in the past.... in this photo on the left you can see a shiny arm that contacts a flexible metal strip. the arm pushes the metal tab away from a contact a little lower shutting off the fuel when the engine is no longer running (no air flow though the meter).

post-17660-14150817201597_thumb.jpg