IGNORED

Windshield trim installation question

garretthes

I have installed a few, WITH the trim in place before trying to install the gasket/windshield. I was shown to do it this way back in the 80's by an installer who did the local Nissan (and ex-Datsun) dealerships. He did it this way to save time on the piecemeal jobs (i.e. $ per job and not per hour).

The FSM (Factory Shop Manual) says to mount the trim AFTER installing the windshield and to use sealant between gasket and body. However, don't forget that the FSM arse-umes you have a parts department nearby with replacement trim and windshield gasket AND a windshield in stock just in case... just in case. The sealant idea isn't off-kilter, but it IS messy. For that reason some folks seal the windshield to the rubber gasket and only later seal the rubber gasket to the body. It IS harder to seal with the SS trim in place, but it CAN be done.

There are those who would argue that the FSM describes the "best" method, and point out that they spent hours very VERY carefully inserting the SS trim onto the gasket. I'm sure it's possible, but with the help of a friend (which you'll need with or without the SS trim in place), I can have the whole job finished in slightly more time than just inserting the windshield.

BRIEF INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Install the upper corner and center pieces AFTER the windshield / Gasket / Trim are on the car. Just be very careful in lifting the thin edge of material.

The easiest method is to first mount the gasket on the windshield, taking your time to ensure that the upper two corners are well seated. Then spread the edges of the trim gap and slowly begin flipping the rubber up and over the gasket. You do NOT want to try sliding it in, as it can catch in the groove and that SS trim is a LOT sharper than it appears to be. It WILL cut your rubber.

Once the rubber and SS trim are in place, wrap your rope cord around the windshield and then place it on the body and by pulling the cord you ease the inner edge of the rubber gasket onto the windshield frame.

I find it much easier to work without the dash in place as then I can put my hands on both sides of the glass and help move/shove it into proper place so I can pull straight in or up on the cord as needed to pull the lip of rubber over the sheet metal. Whether you start up top or bottom becomes a matter of preference, I personally prefer to finish at the top center.

If your dash is in place, start your cord's center up by the rear view mirror and the "ends" of the cord down by the center of the defrost vents. This is because the dash WILL be in the way to make the last "edge" of rubber flip properly and easily without tearing it.

The rope method has been discussed in other threads, as well as this topic.

Get a good lubricant and use it LIBERALLY on both the rope and the gasket. I use a silicone spray.

FWIW

E

Edited by EScanlon

Just saw the video Black Gold Man posted, and the SS we have is different in that it isn't a simple notch we have to fit into, we actually have a groove with "flaps" on both sides of the groove.

I remind you to NOT put in the center or corner pieces until aftewards as you do need Ssome flexibility in the rubber.

Wish the video had shown the "Rope" method.

E

I'm at a loss as to how the chrome trim piece installs into the new adhesive strip. Anyone done this?

By "adhesive strip" are you referring to the little plastic strip with clips on it? If so, all you have to do is insert the ends of the upper and lower SS into the vertical side trim, then wiggle/gently push them in and snug to the body (to ensure fitment) and from the center of the window, encourage the SS to clip on. It'll most likely take a good quick push, rather than an extended nudge, but it should just snap into place. Once one is done, you can proceed with the others.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought an 83 280ZX. After I test drove it, I noticed that the upper piece of chrome was about a half inch off the windshield and it was pulling out on one side. Is it supposed to be attached with some kind of sealant/adhesive? If I bring it to a windshield repair shop, will they likely know how to reinstall it properly? Thanks!

There *should* be a thin plastic piece with little hooks/barbs on it running the length of the glass, in the gap between the glass and the body. Yours may be there, but those little parts that clip wear out and break, or if the upper SS strip is full of stuff (dirt, pine needles, etc.) the clips may not have anything to grab hold of.