IGNORED

Differential Question

garretthes

The small one is an R180. That car should be an automatic. The large one is an R200, that one should be a manual.

R200's are common enough. Should be pretty easy to find one that is in good shape, and it is MUCH cheaper to find a good one than to rebuild a bad one. Bearings are expensive and I believe the ball bearing on the pinion is NLA. Gears are NLA except for a few ratios you probably don't want out of Nissan Motorsports, or the hyper-expensive OS Giken gearsets.

The 83 is an automatic but its a turbo.

It's odd that a factory turbo car would have an R180. I don't believe that that is the standard diff.

It's fairly easy to swap between the two, from my understanding. Something needs to be turned upside down and you might need a new rear diff mount, from what I've read. But the necessary bolt holes are on the car already. Might be easier overall to get an R200 from a wrecking yard though.

One for sale on hybridz.org - http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/104039-r200-diff-sale-336-390-lsd-378/page__pid__972945#entry972945 Shipping could cost you though.

The R180 should work fine if you don't beat on it. Datsun used it on a lot of models even though the R200 was available. Who knows maybe it's inherently quieter.