IGNORED

Who else thinks the FT-86/FR-S has a certain Z-ness?

Gary in NJ

I am not in the demographic for the Toyota/Sion/Subaru FT-86/FR-S/BRZ. However, I must have this car. To me, it's about as close to the original 240Z as we'll ever get in this age where cars are computer controlled. In fact, the designers when out of their way to keep computers away from the suspension of this car (as far away as federal regulators would allow).

Of all of the cars I've owned over the years, it was the light-weight cars with awesome engines (not necessarily high horsepower engines but high output engines) that I loved the most; original 240Z, original CRX-Si, original MR2 and original Neon RT.

So now comes along the Toyotabru; proper sports coupe styling, 2,600-ish pounds and 200 more then adequate horsepower.

I see a 50 year-old man standing in line with 20-year old "kids" ordering a FR-S. Does anyone here think this car has a certain Z-ness?

I showed pictures to my wife. She and I both like it. However, I just bought a V-6 Mustang this spring as a commuter car, so I won't be in the market for a new car any time soon. It's the first Toyota that I would really want since the last Supra.

That is a really nice looking car. The flat 4 allows for a low hood profile while still meeting current safety standards.

Of course the whole point of the Sion brand is to appeal to tomorrow's customers, not yesterday's. (The latter would include those of us over 40.) If there was a line of 40-70 year old men lined up to buy the car, Toyota is going to think that they have made a mistake.

It's the car I have been waiting for. I recently sold my 240SX coupe. It was a blast to drive but was getting a little long in the tooth. (250,000 miles). I look forward to test driving the "86", and if Toyota got it right, back into a fun small car.

Steve

To me, the BMW Z3 has much more Z'ness to it, with its lovely inline-6 engine. It would be more appealing to me if it weren't so heavily computerized. I love the simplicity of the Z and the intimacy it gives me with its drivetrain, and no modern car can give me that. My 1994 Miata is about the most modern car I could really love.