IGNORED

I'm blaming Arne! Going, going.....hopefully gone to good home soon!

bobc

I'm going to get ahead of this one and let club members know that I will be posting my 1970 240Z on ebay in the very near future. After shipping it down from Alaska, I've had it for almost 7 years now (a long time for me!) and have just recently decided that it's time for a new toy. I read Arne's posts when he decided to sell his and my feelings are very much the same, although I know I'll really miss it when it's gone.

I showed it for several years (7 firsts and 2 seconds, including 3 1st places in the West Coast Nationals) and then decided I was tired of the show thing. Haven't been driving it much lately and while it looks great in the garage, it needs a new home with someone that will continue to improve it and have fun with it.

I've debated selling the car and the spare parts separately. I'm leaning towards including everything in the auction and see how it turns out. Off hand that will include three sets of wheels (two with tires), door panels, D-hubcaps, original radio, louvers and a drawer full of parts. What do think? Sell the parts separately or all with the car?

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know, so you wouldn't wonder what was going on when it's posted. Not going to be cheap. Hopefully, I can raise the bar for other club members if they make the same decision!

Oddly enough, I have a ton of pictures of the car in shows and during restoration, but not that many that show the details and how it looks now, so I'll have to take some current shots for the ebay posting.

As to what is going to be replacing it. Just put a down payment on a 1987 Porsche 930 Turbo today! I'm excited to have a new toy to play with for Christmas. Again, I'm blaming Arne for the Porsche too!

So, don't faint when you see it online and tell you can help by telling your friends!!!

Best to all,

Bob

Well, I know the time comes when one knows the time has come to let go. I did it many years ago (27), but also repurchased her back 3 years ago. As far as the parts going with, only out of potential personal interest in a couple things you mentioned, I'd say offer up at least some separate from the sale of the car. By the way the new toy sounds like an awful lot of fun.

Good luck with the sale Bob! I'm guessing the car should fetch a pretty good price as it is in great condition. I also think e-bay is the right venue for the sale as yours is one of the nicer Z's around. E-bay worked well for the sale of my silver one. Also, dont forget to take lot's of picures of the critical areas.

I'm hoping someone on the east coast buys it so I don't have to compete against it in any shows :).

Best regards,

Rich

When I was offering my car locally and on eBay, I advertised it with all the spare parts included. Figured that just made sense.

But for shipping overseas - well, technically there's not supposed to be stuff in the car when it is shipped. And shipping bulky stuff overseas isn't particularly cost-effective if it's not particularly necessary. I did pack a few odds and ends in the toolboxes and such, but most of my spares did not go with the car. That's why I've been cluttering the classifieds lately.

930 should be fun - way faster than I would need, but then even the chipped 3.2 in my Carrera is more than sufficient for me. I didn't look at Turbos as I intend to drive it fairly regularly, like the 240Z. A 930 is more of a special teams player....

My for sale post (same as I used on ebay, too) is still up on my website. Take a look at the pictures I included. I've been told by several people that these are the type of pictures that help sell a car like this to someone who can't see it in person.

And don't be surprised if the only offers at your price come from overseas...

Arne,

What's your website address? Thanks for the suggestions. I just posted the car on ebay, but I probably won't have additional pics up until Tuesday. I just put in back in storage last week, to get my Mustang out, so I'll have to swap it out and bring it home to take the pics.

In my ebay listing I did say I would sell it worldwide. I know that a lot of cars are going overseas these days. I just barely beat the Germans on my Turbo. The Porsche factory guys are buying them and bringing them back to Germany. Did you get a lot of inquiries that offered to send you $100K and you could deduct the cost of the car and keep another $10K for your trouble, just send them the change!!!

I got several of those when I sold the Vintage Car a couple of year back. Geez, I'll be Z-less. It's starting to sink in. Ouch!!!

Rich, I thought I would sell it to Jay, so he could win 1st and 2nd! Just kidding.

When I went to buy the Turbo today, we parked right out in front of the dealership and I dutifully put the quarters in the meter. Snow and I went for an hour walk on the Huntington Beach pier to think about it and then went back and put another 20 minutes on the meter. When we came out, the time had just expired and we had a ticket. Kind of killed the buying experience, but after thinking about it we both started to laugh, because we realized that this was just Fred's way of getting back at us! I'm sure he'd be really mad at me. I thought if I waited to do this, I'd be safe!

The for sale page is still at http://1971.240z.home.comcast.net/~1971.240z/extras/for-sale/index.html

I didn't get too many scammers, just one guy who was actually rather persistent - of course, I knew from the get-go it was a scam, so I might have led him on a bit, wasting a considerable bit of his time. It was the "I'm on a ship at sea, can only buy via PayPal" scam.

The reality is that at the price level of your car, you can not expect it to sell on ebay. But you did put in your phone, which is good. You may well get followup calls after the auction.

Definitely post more pictures showing the underside and documenting the restoration work, if you have any. Your car is a prime candidate for overseas sales - I firmly believe there are a lot more potential buyers of nice 240Zs in Europe than there are here in the USA.

Speaking of - I too know about the Porsches going back home. One of the cars I was interested in sold to a broker for shipment to The Netherlands before I could get a chance to look at it.

Rich, I remember that! I'll actually keep that shot if you don't mind. I have always really liked your car. I'm sure your dad was extremely proud to have you own it and the quality and tastefulness you put into the refresh.