IGNORED

Terry's Project 240K

tez240k

hey guys

Last weekend i bought a 76' 240k, (posted it in my ride section)

Just got a few questions about some things i will get started on, as im new to the datto scene!

now i know parts are going to be hard to come by, but so far from what i can see..

-2 front doors would be good to get hold of as these are rusted out. no big deal as im replacing other rusted out areas with new metal

-the rear seat is badly torn at the top as well as front seats are ripped. (reupholstered?)

-rear garnish left hand side chrome strip is needing to be replaced

-i have got a set of twin SU's off what i beleive a 240z. are these worthy of putting on as the motor will be coming out and freshened up

-grille is a bit rusted.. maybe a replacement

-Both front and rear bumpers are dented

-Dash is cracked, but the dash mat has been completly glued on! :ogre:

-drivers door panel has been cracked- but both have GT badges, as well as grille

Good points on the car is:

-All wood around guages and center console is perfect

-All guages and dash lights work

-fan works

-all lights work

-has a/c

-5 speed

-car is drivable and drives not too bad

-has original steering wheel, radio and tape player

The story goes i was told it was a gt. but compliance plates do not have gt stamped on it. so im unsure. doesnt bother me too much. and information on these cars is so hard to come by. Doesnt seem to be definitive answers.

but im going to drive it around for a couple more weeks, then its coming home to be stripped apart, full panel work, spray job, engine bay, motor freshened, interior, etc etc..

what are your experiences and suggestions with the fun i have to come??

Cheers!

terry

Edited by khughes

welcome Terry,

You've found the home of the 240K!

In regards to your enquiry about yours being a GT, the story goes something like this:

when the Datsun 240K was imported to Australia in early 1973 ( in coupe form only ), the first batch was badged as "240K GT", this would of only been a couple of hundred at most, which would of been stamped on their compliance plates. Because of "pressure" from insurance companies and the Government? at the time

also because of the fuel crisis, " GT " cars were frowned upon, so Nissan (Datsun here) decided to change the badge of subsequent batches to " GL ". The sedan

wasn't sold here till a few years later, so yours is definately a GL. A nice car all the same.

a 240K GT has a ID of KPGC110

It's stamped into the firewall

Nigel

You forgot the " R " on the KPGC110, as this was the code for the Nissan Skyline 2000 GT-R model, of which only 197 officially were made.

aggh.. wrote a whole long post and just crashed :)

Basically, 240KtoGTR is correct :) The 240K GT has been researched a bit on here, and there was 2 of us that had genuine Australian GT's (Art and Myself).

The Australian 240K GT's were the very first to arrive in Australia in the beginning of 73 (mine was complied 01/73). There is rumours that the GT's were actually the first non-develepment cars out of nissan/datsun and this is supported by the low VIN's (mine was #280). we have very early 240Z's too (again mine is #212), so maybe it was practice at the time.

I am not sure how many cars were Australian complied as "Coupe GT", but it seems to have quickly changed over to GL at some time in 73.. my guess is there are probably only around 200 or so, for historical sake it would be nice to know.. but records from the time are hard to come by.

Nissan 2000GT-R's coupes had the vin KPGC110

Datsun 240K GT's coupes, 240K GL's and Nissan 2000GT-? coupes had the vin KHGC110

Datsun 240K GL 4 doors in Australia and Japan had HGC110 (there was never a GT 4 door in australia)

the 2.4L engine was export only, and most japanese cars had 2L motors (?).. The sedan's came in a shortnose and longnose (like the coupe) versions from memory. Export countries included Australia, South Africa and Europe.

I presume the previous owner confused the GT with the japanese models GTX etc..

Yeah ok sweet. I'm prob not the first that has bought it believing it's a gt in it's lifetime. It came with gt badges and a gt handbook. Oh well I've got a good example of a gt mock up haha.

How do you go as far as getting parts for these? I notice rare spares make stuff all for them. I'm gathering when I come across any just thank myself lucky?

Forgot to mention that the gt was available in Europe. Probably where the manual came from.

Not sure if the gt over there was sedan too, possible

As for parts, 4 or so years ago, new old stock use to be quite frequent on eBay. Things have really dried up since. It really depends on what your trying to find. Mechanicals are not so bad.. other than that either a post here or possibly a wrecker

Yeah the Europe got both coupe and sedans badged as GT.

We originally got GT's then later GL's. For all intents and purposes they is practically no difference between GT's and GL's of the same years.

Somebody probably just bought some GT badges and whacked them on the doors and exterior. My Coupe also has GT badges, and the GT gear knob (4 speed).

took it for a short drive the other night, and just as i was parking it, cops defected me for 1 tail light!! lucky it wasnt rust because i got it cleared straight away! but $52 all just to change one stinkin globe!!

ah well on a good note, i got it home, and cleared all the crap out of it, and went over it a bit better. and its actually better than i thought! All the chrome on the car will clean up good. Its only one tail light surround and one side of the rear garnish that has to be replaced! so im cheering about that! even the grille should clean up like new!

the boot had a big rug covering everything, so i pulled that out and............. no rust! yay!

Pushing it into the garage tmrw, and the paint stripper and sandpaper will be in full force!

got it home and within 3 hours had it stripped down..

started checking over the rust and its not too good. doors would be best to throw away. so im desperatly trying to find some.. the rest i will cut out and replace

but looks like its been hit in the arse, because its chockas with bog.. check out the thickness of a bit that fell out :ermm:

DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg