IGNORED

73 240 Resto Started

brentz

We are down to blocking out the imperfections in the body work. If you see the small patches left on the primer work, they are the small indentations that need to be filled and smoothed out. Also, some shots of the stripped headlight housings.

post-3551-14150816999208_thumb.jpg

post-3551-14150816997964_thumb.jpg

post-3551-14150816998627_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well it has been over a month since my last update. The longest part of the body work is complete..that is straghtening out the bumps and dimples in the body. After three rounds of blocking, filling, sanding, and re-shooting with primer, we have a winner. I have included a few pictures showing where the body imperfections are obvious after block sanding.

This last step included sanding the engine bay, underneath the car and then treating bare metal with POR15 on the bottom side. This included special tools to run a flexible spray head down each of the frame-rails and coating (drenching) the inside of the rails with POR15, along with the floor pans, and wheel wells. All seams, including those in the bottom of the doors were coated with POR15.

Next step was to coat the inside roof, firewall, and transmission tunnel with Lizard Skin, which I am told is a ceramic-based thermal protectant designed to keep the temperature levels in the cabin reduced. Lastly, a thinnned-down coat of bed-liner material was sprayed in the engine bay, underneath all exposed surfaces on the bottom of the car, wheel wells, and inside the cabin of the car. I have attached a picture of how it looks. Really makes for a nice tough, fluid-resistant finish all around.

If the temperature can get a bit warmer here in Alabama, (20F tonight!) we will get on with the exterior paint....Black!

Can see the end of the tunnel for the body work...now time to kick the machine shop in the pants to get my engine back.

post-3551-14150817357238_thumb.jpg

post-3551-14150817352248_thumb.jpg

post-3551-14150817352868_thumb.jpg

post-3551-14150817353575_thumb.jpg

post-3551-14150817354182_thumb.jpg

post-3551-14150817354791_thumb.jpg

post-3551-14150817355398_thumb.jpg

post-3551-14150817356007_thumb.jpg

post-3551-14150817356617_thumb.jpg

Wow looks great, mine is nearing paint now, I think I should have the shell back by the end of Feb which works well on my side. Congrats with the progress, mine is still in high build primer but we're getting closer!

Tom, Grantf, Ollie...It's pretty exciting when it finally starts to look like you envisioned! After 15 years there is so much angst wrapped up in the project I don't think I will have a worthy place to park it. My body man, Darrin, suggested I build a new separate garage to park it in...haha.

Love the Monterey Blue...great look!

I just ordered rubber seal kit from MSA and the ship date keeps pushing out. How has your experience been on replacing rubber seals?

Brent

For seal, I went with the vintage rubber kit at around $600. Then I ordered the remaining seals from msa, all but one of the headlight seals was available. If you went with a kit that's probably what the hold up is. In my case most of my seals were in amazingly great shape so I can pick and choose which fit best.

It's been very exciting and a challenge as well.. Everything I try to put back on the car isn't nice enough or clean enough to go with the fresh paint. It's really enhancing my OCD!!

As far as parts go, I'm really lucky with the parts department at Lithia Nissan here in Medford.. I've developed a great relationship with the guys at the counter down there. They're great about looking up parts for me and tracking down the hard to get items. Most of my seals are OEM I think save just a few pieces.. I bought Kia Sportage weather stripping for the doors and either the windshield or hatch glass moulding is aftermarket... I'm amazed by the variety of parts still available from Nissan. It's a bit of a distance from Alabama but I'm happy to put you in touch with them if you like, just send a PM..