IGNORED

1972 temp/ oil pressure gauge

Diseazd

I just put a new dash in my 72 Z. After installation, all systems work with the exception of the temp side of the gauge (the oil pressure gauge works). Both systems work off of a common plug, so I know the plug was connected. Any ideas why the gauge doesn't work? We put working gauges in the dash from my car, so I know it worked before installation in the new dash. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Guy

Ron,

You should first check to see if you have voltage at the temperature sender in the engine bay.

If you have voltage there, the next thing I would do is to use a potentiometer in place of the sender to see if varying the resistance gets the gauge to move.

You can test to see if the gauge works by utilizing a 6 or 9 volt battery on the gauge when it's out of the car.

You can also check for continuity between the connector in the dash and the temperature sender.

Ground the wire coming off the thermal transmitter on the thermostat housing. The gauge should go all the way to the right. If it does, you have a connection problem at the transmitter. If the gauge doesn't move, the problems lies somewhere between the gauge and transmitter, likely at a connector.

EDIT: Make sure key is IGN ON.

EDIT 2: Careful. If you have a points distributor, disconnect power from it or make sure the points are open so you don't fry them.

Edited by LeonV

• 2 weeks later...